Using L,R,Sub

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CareyD CareyD 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 8thnote
    8thnote
    Participant

IDR32 set to L,R,Sub as my main outputs.

I must be missing something but why does the sub send on the channel also send signal back to the L-R outputs?

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by 8thnote

IDR32 set to L,R,Sub as my main outputs.

I must be missing something but why does the sub send on the channel also send signal back to the L-R outputs?

It doesn’t? At least, it shouldn’t
    You should set the sub send level via the rotary controls on the top of each channel

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of 8thnote
    8thnote
    Participant

That’s exactly how I do it and it sends signal back into the main l/r outputs. I haven’t checked it since I upgraded to firmware but when I turn up the channel sub volume, it also comes up in the main outputs. Very strange.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Could it be you’ve set up also pair of (or stereo) matrix where you send L/R to?

ddff

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

I don’t use it very often as I prefer time aligned systems and subs on aux are not helping this, however:

The sub send is relative (post fader), so the channel signal goes to L/R and nothing to the subs when the sub level is all the way down, turn it up to send to the subs, the channel still sends to L/R.

In order to have more flexibility, use stereo L/R and an aux, that can be pre fader.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

Profile photo of 8thnote
    8thnote
    Participant

Yes I agree that the aux would give me a pre send. I just tested and the channel sub send does nothing. Channel fader goes to L/R/sub which makes sense but why the channel sub control does nothing is beyond me. Up or down makes no change in the level to the sub master fader.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by 8thnote

That’s exactly how I do it and it sends signal back into the main l/r outputs. I haven’t checked it since I upgraded to firmware but when I turn up the channel sub volume, it also comes up in the main outputs. Very strange.

Can you provide more information what you did?

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of 8thnote
    8thnote
    Participant

I have the system set up as L-R-Sub for the main outputs. Pretty simple. Of course it adds the sub send on the channels. The problem seems to be that if I use the sub send on the channels it also sends signal back into the mains output. My question is what’s the point of having the individual sends. I can do this without them. The only advantage is it gives me a control over my sub output but why the channel send pot.
    I must be missing something and have found no detailed info on the website or in the help menu in the editor.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

It shouldn’t get into your main L/R buss’s but only into the Sub master. Check your routing/patching/ outputs/ Matrix levels and assignments. If in doubt load a factory L/R-Sub setup and that should work correctly.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Make sure you didn’t set up external input for L/R bus.

ddff

Profile photo of 8thnote
    8thnote
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll check these.

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Hi 8thnote,

LRSub works just like LR with a post-fade Aux feeding the subs (Aux fed subs). The difference is that the Sub (Aux) level is available on the channel strip without the need to first select an Aux mix.

Pushing up the channel fader routes the signal to LR in the usual way. Dialing up the Sub rotary feeds signal to the console Sub output. This does not affect the LR level.

It is not possible with this configuration to send signal only to the Sub. That is not the intention.

LRSub is a 3way mix with separate outputs feeding the L, R and Sub speaker processors. If the speaker system is correctly aligned then setting Sub to its nominal ‘0’ position (the mark on the dial) and setting the L, R and Sub master faders at the same point should be just the same as using a standard 2way stereo system. The typical application is to be able to dial back the feed to the sub from channels that don’t need the low end, for example vocals, flute etc. this can clean up the mix by reducing low frequency pickup from those mics.

Of course it is your choice to use LRSub or choose conventional LR or one of the other main mix types available within iLive if you prefer.

If you are having a problem hearing output from the Sub check that you are seeing signal meter activity on the Sub master meter, that the 3 output XLRs are correctly assigned from L, R and Sub, and that your speaker system is set for separate sub input.

Let me know if you want further help tracing this through.
    All the best,
    Carey

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.