EQ channels over Aux bus

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions EQ channels over Aux bus

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MaartenLouer MaartenLouer 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MaartenLouer
    MaartenLouer
    Participant

Hi all,

I was wondering how i can EQ instruments for in ear monitoring? It seems that i can only use EQ over Aux busses but when i EQ seperate channels then it will not be sent over the Aux where it should be. Lets say that the drummer hads in ear, so i give him a total mix of each instrument, how can i for instance EQ the guitar? hope i explained it well.

kind regards,

Maarten Louer

Hi all,

Just figuring out howto do some EQ over monitors. It seems that i only can EQ things on the Aux bus, but not on channels. Lets say i have a stereo in ear mix, and the singer wants the guitar to be EQ’d how can i do that? FOH EQ is no problem but EQuing instruments over Aux channels. kind regards,

Maarten Louer

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to apply seperate eq to channels being sent to a MON aux while retaining the eq being used for FOH?

The normal procedure for this is to split every channel that needs to have seperate eq settings in the MON aux.

So you have one physical input routed to two seperate channels in the ilive. One channel dedicated to FOH mix not being sent to any MON auxes and one channel dedicated to mon not routed to FOH L/R. These two channels share only preamp gain and48v so set gain sensibly and use trim from then on to make alterations in signal gain before channel processing.

This also gives you the freedom to apply compression to FOH channel only and leave the MON channel uncompressed providing better dynamic response to the artist/musician and creating less potential feedback trouble on stage.

On an ilive you get 64 internal channels, so lets say you have 24 inouts to mix, then you can easily split every one of them and still have room for extra inputs.

IDR32
    Dante card
    Macbook pro 17
    Ipad2 + mixpad
    Aiport express

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

or you could set your routing on your aux mix to post eq. scruffyd’s method is a lot more flexible but, if you are running out of channels just changing the routing method will help you out.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

MaartenLouer
    Participant

Thanx for all advises,

Still have to try this.

Ok simple question. Is there an option where i can choose between post/pre EQ? that would be nice. Then i can EQ instruments seperately from FOH and Monitors.

regards,

Maarten louer

Hi all,

Just figuring out howto do some EQ over monitors. It seems that i only can EQ things on the Aux bus, but not on channels. Lets say i have a stereo in ear mix, and the singer wants the guitar to be EQ’d how can i do that? FOH EQ is no problem but EQuing instruments over Aux channels. kind regards,

Maarten Louer

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

dear Maarten,

what do you use for mixing – Editor or Surface?

br

joe

iDR32 + IPad1 + Laptop + R72
    *** less is more ***

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

You must be referring to the GEQ?

There’s the 4-band PEQ on ALL channel strips. There the GEQ on all group/aux/matrix/main.

iDr48/T-112/MADI/Dante

MaartenLouer
    Participant

Hi DBURRIS

So what i can do is make a group, put in the guitar and route this to the drummers aux?
    then i can EQ the group where the instrument is on and this will not affect the FOH EQ or the EQ set on the Aux bus….. If this is the case then i hope i will get more mono groups in the future. Now its only 4 mono and 2 stereo. iLive Editor v1.9

thanx all i think i can move on with this.

Hi all,

Maarten Louer

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MaartenLouer

If this is the case then i hope i will get more mono groups in the future. Now its only 4 mono and 2 stereo.

Maarten,

We do not need more mono groups. Already iLive is much more flexible than a lot of other systems.

What you’re doing is creating a separate monitor mix. Previously one needed a second mixing desk to achieve this.

In the second post the answer to your question was described: “The normal procedure for this is to split every input that needs to have separate eq settings in the MON aux to a second DSP channel.”

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of joefi
    joefi
    Participant

hi maarten,

have made a short video, hope it explains it a bit…

https://vimeo.com/55379023

regards

joe

*** less is more ***

Profile photo of simonstpauli
    simonstpauli
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MaartenLouer

Hi DBURRIS

So what i can do is make a group, put in the guitar and route this to the drummers aux?
    then i can EQ the group where the instrument is on and this will not affect the FOH EQ or the EQ set on the Aux bus….. If this is the case then i hope i will get more mono groups in the future. Now its only 4 mono and 2 stereo. iLive Editor v1.9

thanx all i think i can move on with this.

Hi all,

Maarten Louer

You can raise the number of groups (you might have to lower the number of other Busses) in the mixrack setup / mixer config page.
    The group to monitor aux method can be very useful sometimes for compression, eq or just grouping.

Christian Tepfer
    Hamburg, Germany

MaartenLouer
    Participant

Hi Joe,

thanx for you’re reply and video. it was very helpfull.

thanx

quote:

Originally posted by joefi

hi maarten,

have made a short video, hope it explains it a bit…

https://vimeo.com/55379023

regards

joe

*** less is more ***

Hi all,

Maarten Louer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.