sick ird 48

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Allen & Heath Product Support Allen & Heath Product Support 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by selfmade

in the digital world you´ve to accept that the systems may be instable.

Very disconcerting thoughts! we are in the business of providing a “service” where failure is not an option! under no circumstances should a show be cancelled or refunded because your gear failed…..and I certainly do not expect digital systems to “fail” or be unstable!? just because its digital!

And (no offence) but I don’t care how good your A&H service rep or shop is , if there is no audio halfway thru the show you are definitely in a mess.

If there is a possible fault with the motherboards on Idr 48 then some kind of investigation of this will find the cause…….and cure…..

Redundant iDr s ……. If any of you are doing this effectively I would certainly love to hear about your setup…….

About 10 years ago, a famous canadian singer toured the world with a large multi truck stadium/arena show.
    The FOH console in use was the infamous soundcraft “broadway” . Few ever knew that, in the many,many “broadway” crashes and hang ups, the main PA was fed a simple stereo mix from the monitor’s analog series 5 console, thereby salvaging the show!!!!!

….

food for thought!

thanks

RayS

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hey RayS – That singer wouldn’t have been Bryan Adams would it? Seems too much of a coincidence – I was at a outdoor concert in Christchurch NZ some years ago and witnessed first hand the flash new Soundcraft FOH console go down – at least twice … 15 mins or so then a slow FOH mix build from the monitor console. There was a rumour the crew had a food fight in the afternoon around the console! I found it quite entertaining actually – but then the show did go on! It’s not so funny on the other side of the fence.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Ah the dear old Braodway, that was the last Soundcraft board I really liked, you are correct though very unreliable, definately an install board. Any desk has the chance to fail just the same as any other piece of equipment we use. I have had analogue consoles fail on me as well as digital ones. Not always catastrophic but always annoying.
    Having said that I have had an IDR10 / 112 now for about 5 years also had some faults with it, but “touch wood” never lost a show so far. The console is not installed, it does tour, it does get left in open fields doing outdoor gig’s. Sure it is treat with respect but not kid gloves. Bottom line is I would not go back to an analogue console with it’s attendant racks of outboard gear now, I am used to the facilities available on my iLive at the touch of a button. To my ears and in my humble opinion it is one of the best sounding consoles out there analogue or didital. Support on the console is very good (again my opinion) I guess I am a fan[:D]

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RayS

[quote
    Redundant iDr s ……. If any of you are doing this effectively I would certainly love to hear about your setup…….

I always carry a backup powersupply ( had an issue with the IDR48 internal powersupply). And i have my laptop so if the surface died i could get by but a second IDR48? The problem now with ilive is that even if I bring a little 16ch mackie i would also have to bring that bulky multi and heavy outboard.[:(] If i had a problem with an analog board it was never a show stopper. i could loose an aux/group,channel ( i also carried a spare powersupply)
    but with all digital if the mainbord is dead than you are screwed.

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Stix

Hey RayS – That singer wouldn’t have been Bryan Adams would it?
    Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Celine Dion!

RayS

Profile photo of audiolab
    audiolab
    Participant

I have experience the same predicament during the first few weeks after our T-112/IDR-48 came in. Instead of rebooting shutdown then power off both surface & rack, the rack must always be turned on first then the surface so it can connect properly. I guess that should be the sequence since the DSP engine is in the rack. Never had a problem since then.

Have to agree with kentlowt, it also happens to some yamaha, soundcraft, etc. digital consoles.

Our unit is working so fine now, i also had to carefully configure the TCP/IPs of network connections. IP conlficts can cause system errors.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

audiolab – this was not a boot order or network problem – it was a mixrack hardware failure.

I have recieved my repaired IDr48 back from service (new DSP board) and found out that the likely reason it failed was because of a rogue washer floating around inside the MixRack! I actually feel some relief at this as it was an explainable mechanical short circuit. This is better than a mixrack DSP that can randomly fail at any time! Don’t have any idea how a washer could get in there -perhaps from manufacture? The unit has been transported in a sealed SKB case all it’s life and has always been transported upright. For a washer to get in it would have to be through a vent or the fan. Oh well – I’m just happy we are running again. Think I will always have a backup mixer plan now though.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Profile photo of przemko
    przemko
    Participant

Same problem with my iDR48 – i will take it to Konsbud Audio and hope they will fix it.

best regards

Przemko

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

…it failed was because of a rogue washer floating around inside the MixRack!…

Since english is not my mother tongue: what is a rogue washer?

Wouter

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

quote:

…it failed was because of a rogue washer floating around inside the MixRack!…

Since english is not my mother tongue: what is a rogue washer?

Wouter

Abtrünnige Beilagscheibe

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Further to this thread – Is seems my IDR48 Mixrack failure could have been caused by a component failure in the main board power supply. I talked to the tech when my IDR was repaired and it appears that certain temperature/humidity conditions (mainly in the southern hemisphere) can cause this Mixrack main board failure to happen. I know that many IDR mixracks that had been sold in NZ (and possibly Australasia?) were recalled and modified to prevent this happening (back in December/January). It’s all been good for some months now so lets hope it stays that way!!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

If I remember right- there was a service bulletin issued by A&H and that was something to do inside iDR in order to prevent failure in excess humidity environment. I can look for it if someone is interested.

ddff

Profile photo of riggs1963
    riggs1963
    Participant

Yes please…would be great to find out about this…

Cheers
    Dave

T112|iDR48+ACEcard|Laptop|iDR16|iPad|iPS10

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ddff_lv

If I remember right- there was a service bulletin issued by A&H and that was something to do inside iDR in order to prevent failure in excess humidity environment. I can look for it if someone is interested.

ddff

there was a A&H sponsored “PCB” mod last February……as I understand it, your local A&H dealer/purveyor would/should have informed you of the mod (to the idr rack…..) you might want to check this out with them…….

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

This is the procedure – https://3s.lv/misc/iDR_Main_Board_AG7254.pdf
    Nothing really complicated for most service departments.

ddff

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.