Comms internal or external?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Comms internal or external?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stix Stix 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lawbass61
    lawbass61
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have set up some kind of comm system between FOH and backstage internally within iLive, and how many of you just run it externally? For any who have set it up internally, how did you do it? Thanks,
    Jon

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

I’m using TB to stage and mon land via iLive. It’s set up in a way I assign TB mic to 2 unused groups or auxes, one is patched to small speaker near MON guy, the other in the MON console and is turned up in all monitors, to enable this send I have a hot key defined. The other direction is even simpler – MON guy uses any free input for his TB mic and I just assign one of local outputs as direct out for particular input, there I connect my small speaker.

ddff

lawbass61
    Participant

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how to set up a dedicated comm line using Clearcomm or Telex equipment internally. While I can certainly run a separate 250′ XLR line, I am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that internally so that no speakers have to be set up.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lawbass61

…I am trying to figure out how to set up a dedicated comm line using Clearcomm or Telex equipment internally…

I think you will find that this is impossible. As with all comms lines, they carry a voltage which cannot be carried down a fibre, cat5 or through a DA/AD converter.

The only think that can be passed internally is Audio or Midi.

http://www.TotalLiveSound.com

lawbass61
    Participant

Yeah Graham, decided that was the case last night after an evening fiddling and experimenting. I did get a dedicated comm line set up internally using the surface TB, an aux, and the last mic input on the IDR, but using a Clearcomm wouldn’t work with it. Oh well, just run a long xlr to bundle with the Cat5e.

Jonathan Wade
    Suburban Legend Audio

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

If you prefer to drop another cat 5 line. you could use these baluns that convert 4 XLR signals down a cat 5 line. There are different configs available too. Of course there are single line versions also.

https://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/CAT-5-Transmission-Systems/Audio-Over-CAT5-Systems/Energy-Transformation-Systems/PA203F.xhtml?ETS-PA203F

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

You will need shielded CAT5/6 if you want to also run phantom power down the ETS instasnake units.
    I opted to replace the main ilive CAT5 cable with Sommer Cables SC-Monocat Power 212 cable. This provides mains power, 2 x Shielded CAT6, and 2 x Balanced line: https://www.sommercable.com/2__default/index.html
    I can now have the iLive ACE connection, another CAT 6 for various possible uses such as ACE/Dante/Video over CAT5/redundant ACE/ laptop connection etc etc, plus I have a dedicated Comms line, and can use the other balanced line for DMX/Lighting etc. I made up a 50m snake from that cable and have had no connection or ACE issues with it. It’s a very tough cable and makes a great one cable solution for a variety of events/shows.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.