Learnt Something New

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Learnt Something New

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of schaibaa schaibaa 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

I learnt something new on saturdays gig! I run a T80 and iDR32 vers1.63 and created anew show from scratch FOH LR stereo. As usual I created channels 33-36 for playback with the devices plugged into the surface slots 1-4.

As i was waiting for something to happen befor soundcheck I noticed channel 61 had signal on it, further digging revealed that channels 57 -64 are automatically routed to the surface inputs on this show and assigning the inputs to a different channel doesn’t remove them from the original channel or does this split the signal?.

http://www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

I would prefer reading the “understand ilive” on the A&H Website!
    You could assign ANY Preamp to ANY Inputchannel – you even could assign 1 preamp to all 64 input channels at one time (no, that makes no sense).
    Its like an digital split within the mixrack.
    Also you have to be aware that when you delete an input channel from the surface its still there – this could be a heck of a problem if you are not aware of that…

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Hi Albin

Yes I knew about any input to any channel and will experiment further on the how to use the “digital split”. I think my point is that as i use an idr32 I probably would expect that templates for this configuration would automatically put the surface inputs at 33-38 not bury them another two layers away.

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

Even though you have the IDR32, you still have the 64 input capability, and I believe the templates are set up to accomodate any possible rack(s) and combinations available (someone correct me if I am wrong please). I also think if you look further yet you might find that channels 49-64 are assigned to the surface input cards (49-56 on A1-A8, and 57-64 on B1-B8).

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

The templates makes no difference if you recall it on an IDR32 or 48 – so thats the reason why the surface inputs are not on 33 and following (cause with an IDR48 you shure would be not happy if so…)

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

Kris B1-B8 are outputs on the T series. OK ,so we have general purpose, not surface specific templates. Is it just me or would you expect the system to configure itself to what it has attached to it? The surface your using detects the rack configuration your using and how many and what type of extra card is fitted so would it be such a stretch for it to say you’ve only got so many inputs and outputs available. Its is rare that i use someone elses system but say you were hot desking at a festival how would you know until you tried to plug something into a hole that isn’t there?

NB all the input sockets on my iDR have a number from 1-32 stuck on them, My thinking is that it is easior to tell a stagetech to plug a mic into 26 as opposed to D2

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

Isn’t this kind of petty?

I think they did it right, and if you thought about using your system outside of the exact configuration you’re using it for now you might understand the reasoning a bit better.

Profile photo of Doug
    Doug
    Participant

schaibaa you are correct, however my original post was an observation which I thought might be useful to others. The further comments/discussions about templates i think are relevant however that part of the discussion may have been better submitted as a seperate topic in the suggestions thread. It is good to get opinions and answers from different people from all around the world with different applications for the system that is after all what this forum was set up for

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Doug

Kris B1-B8 are outputs on the T series. OK ,so we have general purpose, not surface specific templates. Is it just me or would you expect the system to configure itself to what it has attached to it? The surface your using detects the rack configuration your using and how many and what type of extra card is fitted so would it be such a stretch for it to say you’ve only got so many inputs and outputs available. Its is rare that i use someone elses system but say you were hot desking at a festival how would you know until you tried to plug something into a hole that isn’t there?

NB all the input sockets on my iDR have a number from 1-32 stuck on them, My thinking is that it is easior to tell a stagetech to plug a mic into 26 as opposed to D2

It already takes a long time in my mind to boot up the surface and you want to add another layer to the bootup process? I don’t.
    It is easy enough to just make the changes it takes all of about 20 seconds.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of schaibaa
    schaibaa
    Participant

Well and if you work from the opposite angle (like you’re doing the same work on different surfaces) having to remember the various templates might be a bit weird.

Can’t please all, it’s a coin flip.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.