iLive for live recording

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive for live recording

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geddy Geddy 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Does anyone here have any experience with using the iLive primarily for recording? How does it stack up against the Yamaha DM1000 or DM2000 in the recording world?

-d

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hey d,

I have used the iLive for live recording on a number of events. I dont see how it would be difficult to use it in a studio environment.

If you are looking into a dual path solution, you could always use the first 32 channels for Mic inputs and the other 32 for returns from multitrack. Or whatever combination of what i call Record Path and Monitor Path.
    You can always add an iDR16 and do a full 64×64 too..

The great thing about using the iLive is the flexibility in routing with the various protocols available. Dante, MADI, Rocknet, WSG,! Ethersound, take your pick.
    I use Dante all the time and its working great.

Hope this helps

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

it is the “heart ” of my studio

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

My biggest concern is the 48khz 24bit sampling. The main contender we are considering vs the iLive is a Yamaha DM2000. I’m already using an iLive for FOH so I’d love to stay with the iLive family for recording/production but the Yamaha offers 96khz at 24bit.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

I’d suggest reeeealy evaluate how much 96k is important for your projects and clientele. I’ve found myself reverting back to 48k in the studio just because none of my clients really needed or wanted it.
    If you decide that 96k is what u need, i would look into Digico before yamaha… Im just not a huge fan of yamadogs. As you prob noticed. :-)

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

iLIVE The absolutely best recording solution for this money in live applications and in some studio applications,i have made recordings some years before on M7CL & LS9,and DIGICO D7, even made some recordings of orchestra on APOGEE AD16 & ROSETA800 and then the same thing recorded on iLIVE, of course iLIVE looses in some quality of classic music recordings then you record on apoogee 96khz. But Yamaha is definite loser first of all of it’s poor pre amps, iLIVE is absolute leader here, if you need 96khz i would also look into DIGICO.

agutin.com
    1x T80
    2x iDR32
    2 X M-MADI CARDS
    2 X M DANTE CARDS
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI
    Macbook Pro,2x Macmini+DVS
    T34-T80-T112-T144
    evolution of SOVIET TANK

Profile photo of pealsound
    pealsound
    Participant

I run a mobile recording van and iLive is my main system. I do live comedy shows, mostly for BBC Radio. I do a live mix straight to stereo and that’s what gets broadcast (after editing). I do a multitrack back-up using Dante. Everybody is very happy with the results. I have not used it in a conventional recording studio set-up, i.e. overdubbing and dropping in, but I see no reason why you couldn’t configure it with a bank of faders for inputs and another for outputs.

My only grumble is the noise of the cooling fans in both the surface and the mix rack. I have posted here about this issue before but I don’t know of anybody who has replaced the fans. It is certainly something I’d like to sort out because I find the constant noise in the surface obscures some low level sounds in what you’re trying to listen to, plus i find it fatiguing. Also, if the mix rack is situated in the recording room, it can be heard, especially if you’re recording quiet things. (That said, before I bought iLive I tried other systems and Digico SD8 and Yamaha M7CL also have noisy PSU fans in them)

Ironically, you needing 96Khz is the complete opposite to my situation. All audio is delivered and broadcast (on BBC Radio 2 & 4) at 44.1khz. iLive won’t to this, so I have to sample rate convert down at some stage before final delivery. For me, it would be far easier if iLive T-Series would run at 44.1 – 96khz is all very well if you have a great monitoring system, but most consumers hear our carefully produced audio as an MP3, in the car, on home hifi (often with the speakers wired out of phase) or on DAB!

IDR48 – T112 – Dante card

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

I’m running a mobile studio van like Jerry (peal sound) for live recordings direct to disc /usb etc. or on site recording jobs. Main aspects to run iLive are:

Usability – surface/system layout (excellent I/O, routing, SIP-mode, FX’s)
    Connectivity – MADI, DANTE, ACE, Remotes, etc.
    Reliability – no critical faults since I got iLive (2years ago)

I guess no competitor can provide this at a comparable price point today.

More I guess recording 96Khz+ is only relevant for classical jobs which is a different story/stage.

Regarding noise: I had the fans of iDR48 changed and it’s silent running now. The fans in my T112 are not critical, lucky me!

Günter Eisbach
    dL-Recording
    Darmstadt / Germany

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

It might be helpful to specify what fans you used as replacements for those interested in doing the same.

iDr48/T-112/MADI

Profile photo of pealsound
    pealsound
    Participant

Yes, I was going to ask the same thing. Did you do it yourself or is it a dealership thing?

IDR48 – T112 – Dante card

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

The fan was replaced by the German service center crew, working very fast & professional. It was some more to do than fitting the new fans only, and has to be done by service professionals. Best is you contact your local service to get it changed.

br Gunter

Günter Eisbach
    dL-Recording
    Darmstadt / Germany

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.