wireless router to use with Qu-16?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions wireless router to use with Qu-16?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jimmy Jimmy 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Got my Qu-16, downloaded the Qumix to iPad, just need to find a router. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Don’t need massive range, mainly clubs, hotels, the odd outdoor venue but range within 50 feet. I usually mix from stage in my band but want the ability to move around during sound checks, set monitor mixes etc..I got as far as understanding I need dual band but which make and model I don’t have a clue. Something tried and tested would be a start 🙂

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

I use a Apple AirPort express for my GLD-80 and my Qu-16 and had never problems with it! But i know.. it’s not the cheapest one!

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Thanks for the reply 🙂

Funnily enough, I phoned Apple tech support regarding the airport express and the guy there told me it was not suitable for my purpose as it would not give me the wireless network I needed?? That sounds like rubbish if you are using one successfully….can you confirm that’s all you are using, i.e. mixer network output —> airport express—->iPad
    Thanks

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have not gotten my QU in yet, but after reading this I dug out an old Netopia Wireless Modem Router I recently removed from service and replaced with a new Netgear. I had previously used it along with Netgear range extender and the extender wired to my GLD112. Both iPad and Laptop worked fine. I just hooked up the Netopia direct to the 112 and changed the wireless device on my laptop and it works fine. That modem is probably 10yrs old. It is an 802G. Came from my studio in Nashville. I had been using it since my old AT&T modem failed.

So point is probably a lot of different devices will work. I had thought about getting an Airport Express just for iPrinting and to maybe carry around with the GLD’s, but now may just take this old one….

Profile photo of Gerry Winkl
    Gerry Winkl
    Participant

Asus RT-N56U works fine.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“….can you confirm that’s all you are using, i.e. mixer network output —> airport express—->iPad”

Well, I can’t speak for eotsskleet, but I can confirm that that’s exactly how mine works.
    Took 5 -10 minutes for the iPad to find the router when I first got it, which had me worried, but once set up it’s been fine ever since.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys, not sure what the apple guy was talking about, maybe he misunderstood? May as well go with the airport express as I already use a mac and we have several iPads, generally happy with Apple products, unless anyone advises me differently…

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Those of you using the airport express, be grateful of some simple to understand instructions how to get up and running out of the box (settings etc)

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

I did find this on the A&H website, refers to i-live but presumably they’ll adopt this with the Q-16?
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive_Router_Compatibility.pdf

no mention of the airport express anywhere? Mind you, looks like it was compiled in May 2011, so they must be due to update that list soon?

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Right guys, from the horses mouth….here’s a copy of my emails with the tech department
    Hi,

Regarding the list you sent on routers for the Qu-16, I notice the date is May 2011 so most of those routers have been replaced or superseded. Could you possibly give me the model numbers of a couple of currently compatible routers to use with the Qu16? I’ve also heard of people using the Apple airport express successfully, can you confirm if that box will do the job?

regards

Hello John

The apple airport express will do the job really nicely, in fact that is the router that we are currently using on out test room.
    Same apply for routers used with the iLive systems:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/iLive_Router_Compatibility.pdf

Hope this can help

Kind Regards

Rodrigo Thomaz

Hi Rodrigo,

Many thanks for the prompt reply and for confirming that the apple box will work.

Is it time to update the router compatibility page?

regards,

John

Hi John

The page is updated by the A&H team, we have no control over this, I all pass your comments to them.

Kind Regards

Rodrigo Thomaz

Thanks Rodrigo, that would be most kind. There will be a lot of other new Qu-16 users out there asking the same question, so the more up-to-date info, the better

regards,

John

You are absolutely correct John

I will get on this right now

Kind Regards

Rodrigo Thomaz

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Hello John

Good news,
    The reason we do not have a updated list of routers to work with the QU-6 and the other digital desks is that any router will work, since A&H moved away from multiplexing, you just need a router that can be edited and allow for DHCP/fixed IP address.
    Basically your Sky router would work 🙂

Hope this can help

Kind Regards

Rodrigo Thomaz

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

Ok, my airport express has arrived today, anyone give me tips on setting up? Do I need to connect it to my mac to setup its functions or can I do that via the iPad?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I just used the iPad to set mine up.

Profile photo of jet1968
    jet1968
    Participant

mmm, tried doing that but ended up doing a factory reset on the unit and connecting to my mac to make settings. Anyways, up and running now 🙂
    only confusing thing is I have 2 different IP addresses in airport utility, although I’m presuming the one titled ‘LAN IP ADDRESS’ is the one I’m using with the mixer. (address is 192.168.1.1 versus 192.168.1.100 in Qu-16 network settings)
    This router mode default to using DHCP and NAT, not sure what NAT is but seems to work ok with it switched on

I also have ‘hidden network’ turned off (default) but should I turn this on to stop people attempting to connect, even though its password protected?
    thanks

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

anyone give me tips on setting up?

If your Qu-16 is set to the default static IP address, you can follow this article for instructions on setting up the Airport.
    If your Qu-16 is set to DHCP, my guess is the Airport’s default settings should work but I haven’t tested this.

Note that in contrast with iLive and GLD, Qu-16 defaults to DHCP On. This should work with the majority of routers / access points straightaway, no manual IP setting required.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.