Wireless Headset recommendations for PAFL?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Wireless Headset recommendations for PAFL?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ol' Whistle Britches Ol’ Whistle Britches 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Little Ricky
    Little Ricky
    Participant

Since the iPad control app does not seem to include PAFL or any other sound -at least I think this is true!
    And since we have a little 2.4GHZ router to connect the iPad.
    And since the building has multiple 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ WiFi repeaters scattered about.
    And since we have a few wireless mics,

We think the “best” solution is to jack in a wireless headphone xmtr to the PAFL 1/4″ jack.

But given all the existing 2.4 and 5 GHz radios, what is the best product to use?

I’m thinking ideally it should be on a different radio band, or digital, or spread-spectrum (like the mikes)???

Any and all suggestions or info greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Richard
    (ps: I LOVE the QU!!)

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I can’t say if it’s the best but I’ve used an LD-systems unit without any problems and currently I’m using a Mipro, also without any problem. I do use a high-isolation headphone.

Giga

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

I use an LD Mei1000 IEM to monitor when it’s needed and it’s fine. I also have an X-Vive but it’s on 2.4GHz and the signal is very flaky (plus it’s a mono device which is no ideal).

Little Ricky
    Participant

Thanks! I don’t see any MEI 1000 on sale on Amazon or anyplace handy to me. Amazon does have something that looks similar:

D Debra Audio PRO ER-102 UHF IEM Wireless in Ear Monitor System
    https://www.amazon.ca/Debra-ER-102-Monitoring-Performance-Transmitter/dp/B0CL68355C/

I notice all the IEMs on Amazon come with in-ear phones. I would like to know what make and model of “high isolation” headphone you are using – assuming it is effective.

I worry that room and stage noise could make it had to hear the audio monitor.

Thanks in advance!
    Richard.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Keep in mind you can route PFL audio to the ALT OUT jacks or to the outputs on a stage box.

I would stay away from the 2.4 or 5g wifi operation band units. When I’ve needed remote PFL’ing I’ve set up a spare IEM system.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You want a wireless IEM system. You’ll just use it for the PAFL channel instead of a monitor/aux output. However the hardware is the same. Generally speaking you don’t want to go “cheap” when it comes to wireless, but I guess if there was a time that it really didn’t matter, PAFL would be that time. Obviously it would be annoying if the PAFL didn’t work well, but it wouldn’t be a show stopper like it would be if your musician’s monitors were flaky.

Little Ricky
    Participant

Thanks everybody! I’m looking at all the suggestions.

I think I should explain our “problem” is while the sound person can be in the audience or even on stage with the iPad to control the main mix settings. They are unable to check what is going out on Mix 9/10 to your online audience.

So the “solution” is to use PAFL to monitor Mix 9/10. But that is only possible at the QU itself.

So this is all an effort to let them listen to Mix 9/10 monitor from wherever they are sitting with the iPad.

I still find it weird they dont include the PAFL signal on the iPad….

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I think I should explain our “problem” is while the sound person can be in the audience or even on stage with the iPad to control the main mix settings. They are unable to check what is going out on Mix 9/10 to your online audience.

So the “solution” is to use PAFL to monitor Mix 9/10. But that is only possible at the QU itself.

So this is all an effort to let them listen to Mix 9/10 monitor from wherever they are sitting with the iPad.

That would require an IEM wireless set up with the iPad user wearing a bodypack receiver and using ear bud or head phones when needed.

the WIFI link between the mixer and iPad is for control data only.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

These apps only pass “control” data. None of them actually pass audio (as in no other brand’s control apps pass audio either). It clearly is a technological roadblock – either the latency would be too high to work well, or the amount of data needed to be passed to the software would overwhelm the wifi connection or both.

Wanted to chime in here and let you know that this is exactly what we do at our church. QU-SB sits on stage in the rack. I sit in the audience mixing on my iPad and sampling PAFL on wireless IEMs. I bought a Phenyx Pro PTM-10 900MHz system. It eats batteries but it was only $200 bucks. Comparatively cheap for a stereo TX/RX system. All the other el-cheapo amazon systems are mono. Time will tell how long it holds up. No issues going on 6 months now and I’ve liked it thus far. I listen on Shure SE215s IEMs I’ve had for years and when I have them in I can sit in front of my mains and sample individual mics without noticing any external bleed. I like it so much that I have to remember to take them out occasionally and survey the real world.

We have the same issue regarding mixing for an online recording stream and I am still working through how I set that up. Right now I just output a mono mix into the camera system (which has its own issues regarding 4db/-10db levels, but I’m going to create another post for that issue).

This works for me today as I can sample the mix via PAFL in my IEMs, but I’d like to get one of the kids involved solely for the online mix. When I do that he’ll need his own set of IEMs and I’ll convert to a stereo mix. QU system is great from that standpoint because I’ve locked down admin access but can still run two iPads simultaneously…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.