Wifi connect just not happening.

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Wifi connect just not happening.

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gene gene 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MistaPuss
    MistaPuss
    Participant

Hello,
    First, who issues a brand new state of the art product..without a manual? Really?
    YES, my number concern with these type ox digital consoles was..wifi connectivity.
    Everyone bitches about the other manufacturers. And right out of the box, I cannot connect. No 5g, No 2.4ghz…
    Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of blaggers
    blaggers
    Participant

I connected ok to mine, from an iPad, first time. So it’s something in your setup. Perhaps if you explained what your setup was it would help people troubleshoot.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@mistapuss,

Mine connected without any problems, both 2.4 and 5ghz.

However, the real test will be tonight in a 200 seater theatre environment.

Profile photo of MistaPuss
    MistaPuss
    Participant

I am very familiar with wifi. Spent my whole life doing it. its an ipad 6th gen fully updated 2021 model.
    It connects EASILY to my turbo sound, my mackie, berhinger…not this unit. tried 5 and 2.4
    as for distance it is 3 feet away from the unit

Profile photo of vsthem
    vsthem
    Participant

@lee7 : can you let us know how the gig went? Really close to pulling the trigger on this thing, but I really would like to know the reliability of the built in wifi.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@vsthem

I used the CQ for the first time on Saturday night were there was less pressure on me compared to the theatre show the previous night.

Although it felt alien and wrong to me I wanted to try the CQ out using the quick setup approach. Being able to set pre amp gains in one foul swoop is a game changer and saves a bit of time. The downside however is, it is a little too conservative for my liking as I was finding that I was having to push the fader for the kick past 0db to get any volume and oomph out of it. So that is one channel that I have converted to a full channel for this week’s shows.

The auto gain assist worked well, but not something I would advise using on vocal channels, especially in a live band scenario. What happens is that the gain assist pulls the pre amp gain back as you sing louder and bleed from the stage gets picked by the mic’s, thus, reducing your vocal monitor volume. With sharing a gain stage between FOH and Aux’s, if you reduce the pre amp gain that also affects what you can get out of your aux along with your multitrack recording volume also being affected.

So once I have reset the pre amp gains on the vox’s this week I will turn off the auto gain assist.

The set parameters for vocals sounded good, I used the broadcast setting. That’s not to say that I won’t switch to a full channel this week for more flexibility. The FBA assistant worked great on our stage monitors. I had already given it half a chance by dialling out some problem areas using the PEQ. We didn’t have any feedback from start to finish, again, tougher tests lie ahead so will report back at a later date.

The room at the venue was a large area with hard reflective surfaces throughout, so the vocal verb sounded a bit too metallic. So switching to the percussion setting tamed that quite a bit. So hoping the vocal setting will better at this week’s shows.

All in all the audio quality was excellent and can only get better once I have spent more time using it. The CQ20B’s footprint is tiny and barely noticeable positioned next to the drum kit, great design.

The one feature that I thought it could do which turns out that it can’t. You cannot record multitrack via the SD card and playback using the USB A channel at the same time. It is one or the other. This due to both formats sharing the same internal hardware. The band come onto the stage using pre recorded intros/outros, so if I wish to multitrack I would have to Bluetooth those intros from my iPhone. Not the end of the world but could’ve been made easier and less cumbersome.

I hope to record footage from Sunday’s show which I will post a link too once online.

👍😉

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Being able to set pre amp gains in one foul swoop is a game changer and saves a bit of time. The downside however is, it is a little too conservative for my liking as I was finding that I was having to push the fader for the kick past 0db to get any volume and oomph out of it. So that is one channel that I have converted to a full channel for this week’s shows.

First, thanks for the “review” of the device. It is nice to hear first hand experiences with new hardware.

Second, it is very common to have to “gain up” the preamp gain for channels that have sounds with very short transients (like drums). That is because while the system reads the actual input level of the loudest transient, our ears tend to hear more “average levels”. Therefore something with a short transient doesn’t sounds as loud as something with a longer transient being played at the same volume. It is quite normal to have drums meter much higher than other inputs (because their gain is much higher) and yet they still fit into the mix as expected.

Long story short, if you have an input with very short transients, the auto gain feature is probably not going to work well and you will likely have to increase the gain levels manually.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@brian,

I was comparing to my QUSB which I don’t have to push the fader right up as I have the pre amp set higher. Which is obviously what I will do with the CQ this week. But a nice feature to have nonetheless.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

@mistapuss by can’t connect, can you be more specific?

1. Can you see the CQ device in your list of available WiFi connections on your iPad?
    2. Can you successfully connect to the WiFi, but not the mixer?

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

For the record, wifi connect with our CQ-20B has been a nightmare out of the box.

It takes dozens of power cycles and wifi resets just to make the unit’s network appear in my iOS wifi settings.

I’ve set it up successfully multiple times, only to have everything gone the next time we power up the unit.

I have no confidence the system will work when I need it to.

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

This is so frustrating. No matter how many times I reset and start again, I can only get the iPad or iPhone to see the CQ network maybe 1 out of every 25 times.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

For the record, wifi connect with our CQ-20B has been a nightmare out of the box.

It takes dozens of power cycles and wifi resets just to make the unit’s network appear in my iOS wifi settings.

I’ve set it up successfully multiple times, only to have everything gone the next time we power up the unit.

That is not normal behavior. I would reach out to your distributor for more support (and potentially to submit a warranty claim).

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you using the internal WIFI or an external WIFI router?
    2.4 or 5g connection?
    Have you tried different WIFI channels?

Profile photo of gene
    gene
    Participant

I’m using the internal wifi because that’s what we’ll need during our outdoor usage.

I’ve tried 2.4 and 5ghz. Either way it’s the same.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.