Wifi and ethernet available simultaneously

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ feature suggestions Wifi and ethernet available simultaneously

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Spyros Spyros 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

It appears that wifi/ethernet is an either/or type of thing.

It would be nice to be able to have them both active and use the device as an access point that connects to the ethernet network.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The work around is to set the console up for ethernet and then connect your own Wifi router. You’ll have the available LAN port as well as WiFi available on the router.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

@brian

Well, with the marketing materials stating it could be an access point, I had assumed it would act as a standard wi-fi access point. i.e. connect to it and it would bridge to your ethernet network.

Since it apparently doesn’t work that way, I thought it would be a nice to have.

Profile photo of Jeradachs
    Jeradachs
    Participant

Hello A&H

In life situation it is no problem to have no ethernet connection parallel to Wifi using 12T or 18T but with the 20B it is essential.

Please give us an access point including ethernet.

Olaf

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Enabling both isn’t quite as simple as it sounds. The problem would be that the internal DHCP server would also need to be switchable. If connecting to a network with a router or other DHCP server, it would need to be switched off, otherwise it would need to be configured to hand out IP addresses on the LAN port too. An even bigger issue would be that if you disabled DHCP for a gig, then tried connecting to the mixer’s WiFi without having a router attached to the LAN port. With no DHCP server, your device wouldn’t receive an address which would require you to manually set one in your mixer’s default IP address’s range. Suddenly the simple CQ becomes much more complex. I suppose that you could auto-detect the presence of another DHCP server then auto disable the internal server if one is found, but then there’s the issue of when you switch it off, and have already connected devices. The addresses on those devices will be wrong. The whole thing is quite messy and above many people’s knowledge level.

I believe A&H wanted to keep CQ extremely simple, and user friendly, so the above reasons are some of why it is they way that it currently is. I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be done, but it would need some other options enabled in the UI, and people would have to understand when and how those should be set.

In my opinion it is much easier to connect an external router with WiFi, and then switch the CQ to use the network port.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Sorry Scott when I 100% disagree.

1) other cheap mixers can do it
    2) any cheap and simple router can do it
    3) A&H built in touchscreens in the 18T and enabled paralel tweeking via Wifi

And if you loose wifi connection with the CQ20B during the show, what happens? No chance to wire Ethernet and use it. You must reboot, because the toggle is switched to wifi.

Seems to me there is a bug?!?!

Olaf

Jeradachs
    Participant

Just to mention, this is what A&H sais:

„ Leave Your Access Point at Home“

So please make sure, I can.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

I think simultaneous WiFi/ethernet would have been available at launch if it was possible.
    That said, my CQ18 has yet to lose connection during a gig so A&H are confident in their product and decided it wasn’t needed?

I also have a QU-SB, with this I use a router plus Ethernet to iPad adapter.

If simultaneous use could be added it would give another layer of flexibility.
    Until then, if I was a CQ20 owner with any doubts about the internal WiFi, I’d use an external setup.

Jeradachs
    Participant

100% I am with you.

But I ordered the CQ20B while I was told that I can leave my acesspoint at home.

So now I have to bring it just because there is this stupid toggle switch.

Not funny.

Olaf

Profile photo of markr
    markr
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Just to mention, this is what A&H sais:

„ Leave Your Access Point at Home“

So please make sure, I can.

I would suggest that you read the technical specifications of any device you are interested in purchasing rather than relying on the marketing team’s “spin”.

Profile photo of Spyros
    Spyros
    Participant

+1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.