where can I get this usb?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions where can I get this usb?

This topic contains 44 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@markpaman

Best buy had them but is out.

Amazon claims to have them from several suppliers.

B&H says they have them (16G / 32G) in stock for 4.99+s/h / $5.99+s/h
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841277-REG/Kingston_DTSE9H_16GBZ_DataTraveler_SE9_16GB.html?sts=pi&pim=Y
    Don’t know what the SE9 means. Suspect a version of the device as they have made changes over time.

Several other places seem to have them too: new egg, adorama, and some less well known names.

For me, I prefer best buy as they have a local store.
    B&H has always been fair honest accurate and prompt so I look to them before amazon when possible.
    rarely use adorama but have.
    old egg cheated me so I do not deal with new egg.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

burned a dozen times so more than 144 times shyer.

the picture of your data traveller is NOT the one with the AH name on it so I am hesitant to try it.
    It takes time money effort to track down and purchase yet another memory stick hoping it might work.
    And they can slap the name data traveller on anything as that is just a marketing branding ploy to help sell them.

I am double skeptical about the new smaller ones as they are harder to handle and easier to lose.
    I may take the time and milage to go to the local best buy and look again but they did not have that one in the past.
    So if I order it online, says store pickup only, and wait, perhaps pay shipping, and then travel to the store … is it worth it.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

he picture of your data traveller is NOT the one with the AH name on it so I am hesitant to try it.
    It takes time money effort to track down and purchase yet another memory stick hoping it might work.
    And they can slap the name data traveller on anything as that is just a marketing branding ploy to help sell them.

The one in the picture that you linked to is indeed this Data Traveler 16gb USB stick
    only with Allen Heath engraved on it. Buy one from where ever you want to.

This is the Kingston Data Traveler

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Mark

I don’t do much multitracking with my QU, the times I have done it was more of an experiment and not for a project. I will say when I tried it with one of my Data Travelers it did choke. The Sansdisk Extreme USB3 worked fine with it’s faster speed.

If you do a lot of recording I would suggest re-formatting the drive every so often as in formatting it in the QU.

volounteer
    Participant

@mike C

If only.
    We cannot format it the first time with any of the USBs that are easily available.
    If only staples still sold those old white box no name usb2 memory sticks as that one did work.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Volounteer -or others; ‘Boards won’t see USB drives at all’, and ‘new drives (as opposed to ‘older) won’t work (for recording) are two of the failure modes that have been discussed here on our forums. (Mine -‘skipped some files’ seems to be mine alone.)

Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16- formatted ok, but 9 errors in 2min rec.
    Sandisk Cruzer Glide 32- format ok but no errors in 4 min rec.
    Sandisk Ultra 32 –stuck in/on ‘formatting’ but w/no progress.

So as I posted, I didn’t buy a new ‘Extreme- maybe I should have as well, but here are two out of three random newly bought for test thumbs that at least got past that first fail mode theory.

If they work on two QUs here but not yours, that would point to a specific-to-mixer problem and, warranty/trouble tag for Allen&Heath -to explain and correct.

volounteer
    Participant

@mixsit

Anytime there is a hint of a mixer problem AH tells me to open a trouble ticket.
    They are very very quiet on this issue.

The specific to mixer problem could be hardware changes or more likely firmware changes.
    Or it could be some opsys like problem where win 10 sits and lurks then strikes and forks you over at random.

There is another factor and that is the age and submodel of the USB.
    Plus model names change and are slapped on newer production that looks different and may work differently too.

Since so many USB do not work at all on an assortment of mixers but work fine on PCs and CD changer etc. that tends strongly to point to the Qu as being the problem.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Anytime there is a hint of a mixer problem AH tells me to open a trouble ticket.
    They are very very quiet on this issue.

I can’t tell if this means you did or didn’t open what would seem to be a legit claim for making you right on a faulty unit or not?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I have a tiny USB stick that I use just for show intros/outros etc, but for the purpose of multi-tracking I have started using a spare Samsung T5 500GB SSD drive that I was initially using with Macbook, that drive works great and is way more fast enough than it needs to be.

Downside is they’re not cheap, although you can pick them up second hand and they’re very small in comparison to a regular HDD or indeed other SSD on the market.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU-PA500B-Portable-SSD-500GB/dp/B074MCM721?th=1

volounteer
    Participant

@mixist

I have nothing to say that our unit is faulty wrt USB memory as one OLD one did work. I do get random clicks/pops through the phones in some situations but since I do not hear them in the speakers I have not pursued a trouble ticket even though they did suggest it for that situation.

Would it do any good to open a ticket when the problem is so widespread?

Either they are truly (adjective?) , or they just don’t have a clue to what the USB memory stick problem is.
    Or maybe they have a clue and can’t fix it and chose to stay quiet about it.

I have my suspicions, but I will be generous and say it is not all their fault and it is too expensive to fix on old devices.
    Hopefully the next generation of mixers will be designed defensively to avoid such annoyances.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

I just purchased one based on a member here. Discovered neither QUs or the RME UFX will take exFAT as a format. Windows will not give FAT32 as a format option. Apparently I need to use one of the dedicated drive programs to get it to FAT32. Was that your method?
    Also, then found back on the RME forum the fellow that first tested and recommended it there later posted a 180′ when he later found it makes pauses in recordings!
    https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=11257&p=5

(Lee7) I have a tiny USB stick that I use just for show intros/outros etc, but for the purpose of multi-tracking I have started using a spare Samsung T5 500GB SSD drive that I was initially using with Macbook, that drive works great and is way more fast enough than it needs to be.

Downside is they’re not cheap, although you can pick them up second hand and they’re very small in comparison to a regular HDD or indeed other SSD on the market.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU-PA500B-Portable-SSD-500GB/dp/B074MCM721?th=1

volounteer
    Participant

@mixsit

There are free utilities you can DL to do the formatting.
    /How to Free Format exFAT to FAT32 or NTFS in Windows 7/8/10?
    https://www.diskpart.com/articles/format-exfat-to-fat32-ntfs-5740.html

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/exfat-to-fat32.html

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-exfat-to-fat32.html

Which windoze refused to format it ? Not clear if aomei runs on xp or 98se

Most of us have access to an 8 or 10 version. Some may run on 7 anyway.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Thank you !

volounteer
    Participant

@mixsit

de nada

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

Ok, I got the T5 formatted to FAT32, formatted on the QU and did a pair of 40 min recordings with no errors indicated. Going to follow that up on the RME UFX.

Decided to go ahead and spring for a new Sandisk Extreme for test.
    There are ‘Extreme ‘Go, and ‘Pro, 3.1s now.
    Specs/reviews show the ‘Go read/write speeds about the same as my older ‘Extremes, the ‘Pro faster yet.
    Which would be the better test here?
    I don’t need a $100/128gig (min. size) drive.. With the 64gig ‘Go coming in at $40.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.