Welcome to Avantis

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Welcome to Avantis

Tagged: 

This topic contains 45 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jgrift Jgrift 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I’ll take a plug in card with needed local connectors. As on SQ.

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

Adding a second GX rack for additional FOH inputs requires a GigaAce card, apparently – the SLink port to one GX rack and the other GX rack to a GigaAce card. I presume you could use one of these with a DX device for somewhat less cost than the GX rack – a GX rack on stage via GigaAce and a DX module at FOH connected to the SLink port, but this starts getting pretty expensive – the $11,400 Avantis plus $3600 GX rack plus a $1000 GigaAce card puts you at $16,000 not counting your additional FOH IO module. This is within spitting distance of DLive C Class – the DLive surfaces have DX ports built-in.

I disagree with GCumbee that the problem is lack of non-XLR IO on the surface, however I agree that there should have been a second SLink port built-in to the Avantis without having to pay a $1000 tax for this. I use the expander port on my GLD for my wireless rack which has an AR804 in it. That would have been nice to carry over. A workaround is running a second Cat cable from the GX rack on stage back to FOH, but that’s a bit silly.

Profile photo of BWright
    BWright
    Participant

Does the order matter? Can you run from the slink to a dx at FOH, then from the dx to the gx at the stage?

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

I am not an expert, but I don’t think you can chain a SLink device through a DX port. Everything I’ve read says that DX ports are 32×32, and SLink devices require more than that. The GX rack has a SLink port input and DX port outputs.

Profile photo of Lozion
    Lozion
    Participant

Great product! Looking forward to test it in the field. ETA?
    Also, iPad app in the works? Cant live without it nowadays..

Profile photo of OrionX
    OrionX
    Participant

@tjcornish – That’s correct. Avantis SLink Port —> DX Device –> GX device will not work – the SLink port goes into DX mode, which only carries 32 x 32 channels. Avantis SLink Port —> GX Device —> DX Device will as the port goes into GX (GigaAce) mode and carries 128 x 128.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

TJComish.

I’m ok with 12xlr if they additional ST 1-3 had been included. Otherwise as you say. It adds significant costs to solve the problem that should have been included.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m ok with 12xlr if they additional ST 1-3 had been included

I’m totally with you George!
    After 40 years of servicing all sorts of shows and events.
    Ive seen all sorts of silly things happen in that time including the big one
    That is a Pyro guy handing to me he play back muusic to be in time with the fireworks just before the start of a 15000 crowd a single XLR wired with a mini jack. Pin 1 ground Pin 2 to the Ring and Pin 3 to the tip of the mini jack.
    Need to think about the consequences of what would happen to the sound on that 🙂

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

XYZ

Hah. Really dumb ppl out there.

This was such an easy thing to do and it was blown.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I can’t understand the problem
    it is a professional console with pro connections
    absolutly no problem on that
    the XLR does the most jobs with ease and in some situations you only need an adapter
    that costs 5 € and I have a bunch of them anyway

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Fair enough. Are you talking about adapters being TRS 1/4 ” to XLR?
    I guess one could use a very small sub mixer for multi play back and multiple laptop devices.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

TRS 1/4″ to XLR and RCA to XLR

mostly I use USB DI boxes for laptops
    and an mini jack to 2x XLR for my own laptop, tablet or phone
    just one example
    https://www.cordial-cables.com/de/produkte/cfy-wmm~pid_531/

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Submixer? You have a 64 input mixer in your hands. This mixer not targeted to general purpose usage like churches etc. more live concert.

Profile photo of Lozion
    Lozion
    Participant

Can we move on from the I/O gripes?

What is the difference from a sonic POV between the SQ line and Avantis?
    They share the same FPGA I believe? What about conversion and preamps?
    Txs.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I use is a stereo XLR-3.5 cable.

Be careful with that one – Phantom power is a Phone killer! Use a stereo DI

Personally I’d have preferred some Combo Jack/XLR connectors on Avantis to solve these input cabling issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.