USB A multitrack recording

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting USB A multitrack recording

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SALC SALC 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SALC
    SALC
    Participant

The manual is not clear on this. Can you use USB A to record multitrack directly on the CQ18?

It does not seem to work.

If it is the case that, you can only use an SD card, this was a weird choice, since the SD has a 32 gig max and the USB A has no max.

When I took the SD card out, and had just the USB A in I could not arm channels 1-16.

Tks
    Sal

Profile photo of Juergen569
    Juergen569
    Participant

According to website of A&H, the USB A is just for Stereo recording and playback.
    Connect a PC to USB B to do multitrack recordings via a DAW.
    Or use SD card for multitrack recordings on the fly.

Profile photo of fluidmindorg
    fluidmindorg
    Participant

I completely agree that it is a very weird choice to not allow multitrack on the USB port. (But then, I think it’s very weird that they put a USB-?? on it instead of a USB-C.)

However, just a week ago, I recorded onto a 128 gig Lexar card in my CQ18T for a 5-part a cappella gig, and it worked great.

Profile photo of ATW
    ATW
    Participant

I used first time SD card 64GB and it looks like SD card can’t be used for stereo recording, only for multitrack…

fluidmindorg
    Participant

Sorry, I don’t know what I did there :-D. I meant to say: I think itโ€™s very weird that they put USB-A and USB-B ports on it instead of a USB-3.x and USB-C ports.

Honestly, for a new audio device designed in 2022/23, that’s kind of shocking. The reason it won’t do multitrack on a USB drive is that they used USB-A, which is USB-2.0, too slow for writing that many tracks simultaneously. The USB-B port is, presumably, also only USB-2.0, and seems like seems like a bizarre decision to me. There’s no technical reason it couldn’t also record the stereo bus to the SD card. That seems like either an oversight, or another odd decision :-).

Cheers
    –Dan

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

USB 2.0 can Transport Up to 140 Channels bidirektional in 96k/24bit. What is your Problem???

fluidmindorg
    Participant

I stand corrected. Thank you, Tobi ๐Ÿ™‚

In that case, I there seems to be no technical reason for not being able to do multitrack on a USB drive.

Profile photo of SALC
    SALC
    Participant

You cannot choose multi-track for the USB A drive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.