Tidy up broadcast signal

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Tidy up broadcast signal

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SpicerBob SpicerBob 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SpicerBob
    SpicerBob
    Participant

We have a mix for a broadcast output that currently includes a feed from a boundary mic for the congregational singing. Several scenes set up feeds from the stage inputs to this mix. The boundary mic signal is 12-15 msec behind the rest of the feed. My first thought was to use a matrix, take the broadcast mix feed (without the boundary mic) and feed it to a matrix with the appropriate delay. Then add the boundary mic to the matrix but I find I can’t do that unless I use (waste?) another matrix just for that one channel. Any thoughts of a better way of achieving this?

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hi SpicerBob,

I’m quite new to Broadcast, so I likely need a lot of educating from the pros on this topic, but I’m wondering if it is really necessary to time align the congregation to the main mix? I’ve been using the audience mikes as both congregation and ambiance mikes and panning them hard left and right and it gives a nice sense of space and also a feeling that the listener is right there in the room, with congregation singing around them.

I try to minimize the bleed from the PA by aiming the mikes away from the speakers and also hipassing to try to eliminate at least the lows from the PA.

(Since I’m using these as basically ambiance mikes, I like that they are not time aligned to the PA on the broadcast. It seems to me that this is similar to not time aligning the drum room mikes to the snare track?)

Anyway, just a thought – and feel free to educate me, since I am still quite new to all this.

Cheers!

Dave

SpicerBob
    Participant

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your thoughts. Maybe I should invest in 2 more directional audience mics and do as you say. It makes sense. Unfortunately we only have one audience mic and the delay just sounds horrible, especially the mic’d acoustic piano.
    So I’d still like to try the delay before I ask for more money for a pair of mics!

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

The easiest way to “time align” audience mics is to place them in line with the main PA pointing out at the audience (like the main PA). This requires no delay settings in the system.

SpicerBob
    Participant

Good point. Thanks Brian.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.