Tascam Sonicview thoughts?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Tascam Sonicview thoughts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RingoRingo
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new console. Now I love A&H consoles, I had 2 QU’s and currently use a GLD112 with AR2412. I am looking for a second console as a backup in case the GLD fails me at some stage. I would love to upgrade to the Avatis but my budget doesn’t quite stretch that far. I could afford the Avantis solo but not with any stage boxes. My other option would be a SQ6 with 2 x DX168’s but I feel like the SQ might be a step backward.
    While I was looking at my options the new Tascam Sonicview 24 caught my eye. It looks great with the 16ch stage boxes having built-in Dante and can also be used standalone with remote control via iPad. The layout on the console looks great as well with 3 touchscreens and the screen showing 1-1 with the channels.
    I’m just wondering if anyone has had any hands-on experience with the Sonicview and what their thoughts were. Also what your thoughts were if you had to choose between the three options?
    I will be using it mainly for local concerts with small to larger rock bands.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Profile photo of ShowtimeShowtime
    Participant

i cam from qu and gld, in sound quality sq is a step forward, also with the ar2412.

For the price of the tascam with stageboxes you can also buy sq6 with addon pack’s then you have almost the same as gld.

Richard

Profile photo of SQuserSQuser
    Participant

Just a few thoughts on this:
    If I were you, I would probably try to get another GLD somewhere.
    With 2 consoles, you might even have a spare parts donor. 🙂
    With the SQ – as Showtime has already made clear – you could even continue to use your AR2412.
    The switch would also be pleasant because you already know the operating philosophy.
    However, you might miss some things a lot – e.g. the channel- and EQ encoders, the informations in the channel strips and the usual channel level leds.
    And: I now assume that A&H has long since said goodbye to SQ.
    The last function update is now over 4 years old and there are no signs of a final one.
    This could well indicate that the console has long since reached its hardware-set limits and that no more functions can be added.
    That is a great shame, because it had developed into a kind of standard alongside Midas by Behringer.
    And so you get a good, but now relatively old console that you might prefer because you are attracted to the size.
    In this respect, the Sonicview could be a modern alternative and also I would be happy to learn more about it – like also here.

Participant

Thanks for the responses. SQuser, That is interesting about the SQ. I didn’t realize that the last function update was 4 years ago. Makes sense though if it has reached its hardware limits. I love the GLD but I would like to move forward from it. I suppose I could find cheap Gld 80 or 112 for now and hold off until I can afford the Avantis.
    The Sonicview looks great but there aren’t a lot of user cases on it yet to tell what it’s like and any faults it may have, it does seem a little risky at this stage.

Profile photo of TobiTobi
    Participant

Sonicview is a great product, but for example lacks all the emulation SQ has. So even without the updates I would go with SQ. Additionally Sonicview is Dante-based, so you would need new stage boxes.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of SQuserSQuser
    Participant

@Ringo
    > I didn’t realize that the last function update was 4 years ago. Makes sense though if it has reached its hardware limits.
    Oh sorry – this is of course not background knowledge, but just speculation on my part, which would make the current situation seem logical.
    And the release of a micro-update today after a year does not make this assumption any less.
    Existing problems remain unsolved – and we should stop dreaming about meaningful changes and additions.
    Probably the new (?) business partner Harrison put some pressure, because a function he offered did not work with the SQ.

> I love the GLD but I would like to move forward from it.
    Can you explain this contradiction?
    Is it the same for you in a partnership? 😀

Participant

@SQuser
    >Is it the same for you in a partnership? Haha no not at all but I have my concerns that the GLD is going to crash on me one day and in the remote location where I live, it’s not just as easy as getting a replacement quickly.
    I should also mention that I am also the main supplier for PA hire when larger acts come into town. Most engineers have been happy to use the GLD but it would be nice to have something a little more up to date.
    Another reason is I would like the ability to multitrack record shows. I know I could buy a Dante card to accomplish this with the GLD but not sure I want to spend the money on a console that is now dated and dropping in price.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.