Super compact I/O option for SQ

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Super compact I/O option for SQ

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnH
    JohnH
    Participant

Hello, everyone. Just purchased my first SQ5, and I love it so far. My goal is to make a custom case for it that also houses a 150ft cat6 and a small I/O box for corporate use such as lectern mic, lecturn DI, a few table mics, etc.. Are there any plans to release a 96K version of the AR84? Or is the DX88 with a maybe an XLR-to-Euroblock panel my best option? Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of a 96K DX preamp versus the older AR preamps, and if so, is the sonic improvement of 96K worth it, or a waste for small corporate use?

I’ve also thought about using a combination of 2in, 2out, or 2×2 DT boxes, but at like $300 each plus the $700 for the Dante card mixed with all of the various connections and power adapters, it’s not only costly, but also tedious to implement and prone to failure.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

it’s not only costly, but also tedious to implement and prone to failure.

More costly certainly, but the second part of your statement is simply not true.

D.

Profile photo of JohnH
    JohnH
    Participant

I think you’re taking what I said a bit too literally, maybe? It’s not prone to failure due to inherent issues with Dante or manufacturer quality, but rather more prone to failure due to all of the extra connections, power supplies, and potential mishaps within Dante Controller. With an AR84, it’s one Ethercon, one IEC power cable, and no software required.. Definitely less prone to failure.

Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

A bicycle is less prone to failure than an automobile. Each has its place.

D.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Well the simplest answer is that the DX88 exists today, a revised 96k box with 8 ins and 6 outs (like the AR84) doesn’t and it may never be released. Personally I would use the DX88 and build my own XLR connectors as you suggested. The fact that it’s only a half rack size actually sounds like it would help in your situation to keep the overall footprint as small as possible.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

A gator suit case will accommodate an SQ5 and DX168 with room to spare for cables. The DX88, as Brian suggested, would make a lot more sense than cobbed up custom stuff.
    Hugh

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.