SQ Waves-Soundgrid and AR2412 Stagebox sampling rate

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ Waves-Soundgrid and AR2412 Stagebox sampling rate

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Warmie Warmie 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Subtower
    Subtower
    Participant

Hello Togehter,

How about the sampling rate a Waves Soundgrid system (installed Waves card in the SQ and set as master at 96kHz) when I use an AR2412 Stagebox via Slink at 48kHz sampling rate.
    Is the Waves Soundgrid System then using 48 kHz sampling rate? Or does the console convert the 48kHz of the Stagebox internally to 96kHz, so I can stay at 96kHz with the Waves Soundgrid system?

I´m asking beacause at the moment I´m using a SQ5 with the internal 16 Mic Pres and an Waves Soundgridsystem with an Impact-Server for running Plugins Live and doing Multitrack Recording.
    But for one upcomming show the 16 Mic Pres are to less, so I can get a AR2412 Stagebox from a friend of mine. Do I have to pay attention to anything when unsing this system setup? Or is it just plug and play?

many thanks for advice!
    Greetings from germany!

Flo

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Flo,

When using 48kHz units with the SQ, all Sample Rate Conversion takes place at the SLink port, so the SQ continues to run at 96kHz internally no matter what.
    With a Waves/SoundGrid option card, you can independently select whether it runs at 48kHz or 96kHz.

So in short, yep, it’s plug and play!

Thanks!
    Keith.

Subtower
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Thank you for this information!

That means the latency in my waves/plugin system on the desk remains the same? Or is the sample rate conversion from 48kHz to 96kHz adding some relevant latency?
    If yes, how big is the added latency? I´m asking because we do some critical inear monitoring (critical because of one special musician 🙂

Thanks!

Flo

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Flo,

There is always a tiny amount of latency added when SRC is used – from a recent topic also about the AR2412:

…the absolute highest latency you would get is from analogue in on a second dSnake unit, up through the first unit, into the SQ via SRC in the SLink port, through all input and mix processing (with it all switched in if you like!), back through SRC, back through the first unit and to an output on the second. This would be around 1.5ms 🙂

DX units or the DX Hub all run at 96kHz and therefore do not need the SRC, the example above with a couple of DX168’s in cascade is sub millisecond…

So we’re talking 1 or 2 milliseconds overall, in addition to your standard Waves SoundGrid latency. Whether or not that’s relevant depends largely on the musician, but the lowest latency will always be when only internal/DEEP processing is used and the whole system is running at 96kHz.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Subtower
    Participant

Hi Keith,

1 or 2 milliseconds plus Soundgrid latency is quite fine!
    That are very good news!

Thanks a lot!

Flo

Profile photo of Warmie
    Warmie
    Participant

Hi,
    Keith I have a question about sample rate conversion in a situation when I plug an AR2412 to my SQ Slink port and want to record to my daw via Dante Card. So the the Slink port upsamples signals (from AR2412) from 48 to 96 and then Dante card converts it back to 48? From what I’ve red here it’s gonna be so? Even when I use tielines? I ask because i want to buy Dante card to record in 48 and just wonder what happends with a signal in this configuration.
    Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.