SQ SoundGrid virtual soundcheck

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ SoundGrid virtual soundcheck

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 4 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of maw92
    maw92
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I used to multitrack with the SQ USB Interface even though I already got the Waves Card inside of the console. I currently figuring out how to route this stuffe while activly using SuperRack and got into some troubles regarding virtual soundcheck.
    So I tracked the files over the SoundGrid network, no problem here. But if I wanted to virtual soundcheck with them I need to change the Inputs of the console to I/O Card wich leads to unassigning my insert points in order to prevent feedback (sinve they use identical I/O ports).

So obviously, for a 32 track record I could just use In/Outs 33-64 for playbacking so my insertpoints would still work, but that leaves no more space for groups and busses to process.

The other point is: even if I bypass all insertpoints for playbacking the signalflow would get changed since the insertpoint of the console is post gate but the I/O source pre gate. So SuperRack would send the audio through the plugin chain and then it would be gated in the console, but thats not the case in live processing where SuperRack “hears” already gated signals.

I hope you guys understand what I mean and I’d be glad to hear your workarounds!
    Or maybe I’m just missing something?

Thanks in advance, stay healthy!

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Here’s the easiest/best way to do what you’re asking

Getting stems to console:
    Plug the SQ USB-B (back of console) into your computer.
    Open your Daw of choice (Pro Tools, Logic, Tracks Live, etc.) and set it to use the SQ’s internal interface (over USB B).
    Send all your stems down appropriate channels from your DAW.
    On the SQ, go into your I/O Patch>Inputs>Input Channels>Library (physical button to left of screen)>select USB.
    This will send all your DAW stems down across the first 32 channels.

Now go to each individual input channel and set your insert points to use the I/O cards corresponding channel.
    Eg. Channel one (I/O card input 1, output1) Channel two (I/O card input 2, output 2)

Go into Multirack/SuperRack and set it to use the Waves SQ card for I/O.
    Set up all your 32 channels so the 1-32 inputs/outputs are in line with your USB channels.

This is the best setup, because you can instantly switch between Local, SLink, or USB as the source for your input channels by using the I/O page then library button.
    Within 2 seconds you can keep bouncing between those 3 input sources and none of them will affect MultiRack/SuperRack.

Things to consider:

If you’re using a Waves server as the host for plugins over SoundGrid, you need to clock the console to the option card.
    On the SQ Setup>Audio>Audio Sync>Audio Clock Source>I/O Port>Apply
    Console will show a red X for a second then a green checkmark showing the console is clocked to it’s I/O port successfully.
    If you want to save resources on your server, you can change your sample rate of the card (you’ll see this option right below when selecting clock source).

There are a few other ways to do this which I won’t bother explaining because they make no sense compared to this way.

Hope this helps!

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

I have a project studio with a Digigrid/WavesLV1 system running to a S1 4.5 DAW. I record ancillary tracks to use in my one man vocal/guitar gigs and initially was shaping at the sound check the stems along with my live single Flea47 next mic for my vocal/guitar SR.
    This is what I know: preparing a two mix from the stems in the studio works much much better than doing it at the gig. It is a simple deal to touch the foot button and Wala I have a full rhythm section custom mixed to play with until the SQ drive finishes the stereo tracks. For starters any EQ beyond installed venue system tuning is seldom a big deal and no venue engineer will get the specific dynamic balance I require for my tracks. This is the point where the rubber hits the road, I always carry all of my front end and monitoring and deliver to the venue the exact mix I desire for my performance. This is my work flow even if I am working with a 5 piece seated Bluegrass band or my solo gig. The question is whether or not the artist has the technical chops or interest in shaping their own dynamics for their performance.
    Hugh

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.