SQ Drive does not record correctly

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ Drive does not record correctly

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tourtelot tourtelot 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

So I bought the same disc. Sorry to say, you where just lucky. Here, using a SQ 5 vrs 1.3 and the same Seagate Disc gives a disaster recording….

Profile photo of GregTheGrate
    GregTheGrate
    Participant

Given the seriousness of this problem, when can we expect an updated firmware set?

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

We are waiting also very hard for Firmware 1.3.1
    We bought the mixer only 1 month ago and didnt manage to record multitrack without issues with many different Settings (win, mac, ubs-b, sq drive, logic, ardour, different sticks, Laptops, …)

GregTheGrate
    Participant

I am really surprised that there is no response from A&H

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @gregthegrate ,

There are two responses from A&H representatives in this thread.
    As in my previous post, this is something that we have been looking into, to see if and where improvements can be made for better compatibility with more systems and devices.
    If you have registered your SQ, you will receive an email as soon as we have any announcement, and we usually drop in to notify the digital community of any updates too.

On your mention of Dante functionality between firmware revisions – it was introduced in V1.2.2, but works in exactly the same way in V1.3.0.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

Sorry Keith,
    you say I have the Option between remote Control or multitrack recording. But I bought a mixer which should do both at the same time.
    The Problem is known since month now, when I can read it correct in this Forum.
    Is there a possibility to give us a hint when probably it should be solved?

GregTheGrate
    Participant

Hi Keith

I am concerned that we have heard nothing regarding a firmware release so that the SQ drive will actually record correctly. It doesn’t record anything useful on any type of drive in multitrack mode. This is a serious shortcoming and I would have thought it would be addressed with some sort of urgency.

It’s not, in my mind a question of improving compatibility, it’s a question of providing basic functionality.

GregTheGrate
    Participant

Hi Keith

I am concerned that we have heard nothing regarding a firmware release so that the SQ drive will actually record correctly. It doesn’t record anything useful on any type of drive in multitrack mode. This is a serious shortcoming and I would have thought it would be addressed with some sort of urgency.

It’s not, in my mind a question of improving compatibility, it’s a question of providing basic functionality.

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

I think your words are fair, and I agree with you.

Profile photo of imrambi
    imrambi
    Participant

First off, I also have SQ drive issues, have attempted 3 different sticks with no avail.

Second, I have no ties to A&H, except, like you, I am a SQ end user.

My full time job is a software engineer. Having a bug like this, you first replicate it. In this case, and how many people are having the issue, it probably (and I’m guessing) wasn’t too hard to reproduce the issue. This is sometimes the easy step. Lets say it’s reproduced, now comes one of the hard parts finding where the code is causing the problem. This sometimes isn’t a simple task. This could be many times reproducing the problem trying to find where in the code the bug is at.

Lets now say, the bug is found. Now the developer has to modify the code. This can take weeks depending on what the code does. Not only does the developer have to keep testing the fix, but then, he has to make sure all test pass. It will then go to QA to make sure nothing else is broken. Lets say everything looks good until QA. QA finds that the code changes now affect the USB-B. They will kick it back to the developer and the cycle starts over again.

This process can take a few months. Depending on what is found and the extent of the fix. If there are multiple code changes, it might take more time for testing.

Once everything is tested, and everyone has signed off, then an official build is made. This will also be tested. Assuming this build works, it will then be scheduled for a release. This will usually be at least a few days to a week. This way all the documentation can be updated, the change log updated. Email messages approved and queued to be sent out on the date of the release.

Is this a major bug, yes, but please be patient. A&H (@KeithJ A&H and others) have responded saying they are working on it. The more we bug them, the more time they feel like they have to babysit us, and trust me, it’s not a good feeling. We don’t want to be like a little kid in a car asking “Are we there yet?” Asking for status updates constantly is just as annoying.

GregTheGrate
    Participant

Understand where you are coming from.

However from my perspective, first off, I have been involved in software development for over 40 years and do understand the whole process completely. I worked for banks or institutions that provided services for banks. If we encountered a software problem of this magnitude, we worked day and night (there was no option, people’s finances were in our hands) to provide a completely tested solution. It did not take months, it could not take months

Many people make their livelihood with these devices, so in the same way, I would hope there is urgency in tackling this problem.

I also see no reason why we can’t be given regular status updates. There is surely a public relations group to whom this problem should fall. Instead, we hear nothing, and have to ask for status updates.

I don’t want this to become an us and them slanging match and will not comment further.

Profile photo of TrangHo
    TrangHo
    Participant

How do i know if the issue is software ( can be fixed with new build) or hardware issue or defective?. My warranty is running out soon.

GregTheGrate
    Participant

Pretty sure it’s software as this particular problem did not exist in the previous firmware.

Profile photo of Fabrizio Roncato
    Fabrizio Roncato
    Participant

I think A&H is working on as fast as they can to find out what is wrong, but I think they need to be more precise also about the hdd/ssd compatible with SQ-DRIVE recording, because it’s not possible that you have to see a chart and know what brand/size/type of device you need to buy to use this function.

Other board brand don’t have that problem recording by usb (this is what I’m earing from other FOH engineers).

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

Guys there is an update out now.
    Will test it today.
    Thanks @A&H

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.