Smallest iPad size to be usable?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Smallest iPad size to be usable?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chienmort Chienmort 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Does anyone have any thoughts on how small an iPad I could use with the CQ app? I’ve personally got an iPad Pro (12.9 inch) which is great but wanting to buy an iPad for church and the budget won’t stretch to the pro. Would a 10.2 inch or 10.9 inch still give enough screen real estate? I’m sure it’s subjective but just interested to hear what people have found in real usage. Thanks!

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Yes, I have a 10.9 and it’s fine. It’s even better if you decide to use the Mixing Station App (instead of CQ app) as you can totally customize the layout.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

I have CQ-mix on a few iPads including a mini. It works fine on that even with my big bass player digits๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜‰.

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Great, thanks both!

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

There is no need to purchase an expensive Apple iPad for a single use situation like this. I would 100% recommend using Mixing Station along with an inexpensive Android tablet in the 10-12″ range. There are plenty of options in the $150-250 range that work fine. Something like the Lenovo Tab P11 would make an excellent Mixing Station host and it is a fraction of the cost of an iPad. Honestly the Mixing Station app is 100% better than the Allen and Heath software and actually gives more functionality – like layers, DCAs, and mute groups – that the stock software does not have.

PS – I actually have used several cheap Android tablets with Mixing Station and they all work really well and are very “snappy”. I still occationally use a Lenovo Tab 2 which is about 8 years old now still works great with Mixing Station. There is no perceivable slowness using that app on that hardware (other apps yes, but not Mixing Station).

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll check out the Mixing Station app.

Profile photo of Chienmort
    Chienmort
    Participant

I have both iPads and Android tablets and find the iPads to be more reliable for this purpose. One of the problems with earlier versions of Android is that you do not have the ability to stop it searching for known networks. I have found that turning this off solves most WiFi problems on small digital mixers. iOS has had that ability for many iterations. Sadly, the A&H app only supports newer versions of iOS. This is one of the benefits of using a web browser UI, I use a 10-year-old iPad on one of my mixers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.