Routers

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MJPA Hire MJPA Hire 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MJPA Hire
    MJPA Hire
    Participant

Hi
    This topic may have already been discussed but if someone could let me know if there are any problems using the Apple Airport Extreme as a router for the GLD it would be very helpful.
    Many thanks

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

I use the apple airport express on all our digital desks. You need to change the IP address of the GLD (vs changing the IP address of the router). 10.0.1.x, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, if I remember right.

Just a recommendation, the airport express also offers a great feature called airplay (when paired with an apple device). This means you can stream playback music wirelessly from a apple mobile device or laptop straight to your GLD. A very useful feature when mixing from an ipad.

I have experienced dropped signal at a range of 120ft (non-obstructed).

Hope you find something that works!

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Which input “sockets” is the GLD seeing that audio on?

Chris

MJPA Hire
    Participant

Thanks dcongdon yes, its a pity there isn’t an audio socket on the extreme, I can see how useful that feature is on the express. It’s just that I have had trouble with remaining connected over sometimes relatively short distances, especially in theatres with my current router for some reason, although it is a fairly high spec one, the extreme offers direct beam technology and I thought that might improve connection over distance more efficiently.
    Cheers

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? 2.4 could get very congested when the audience comes in, but 5 should be OK. I use a WD8980 which has been pretty solid, though did loose connection when I set the laptop right on top of it.

Chris

MJPA Hire
    Participant

I’ve tried both frequencies Chris, I am going to change routers, Apple seems the way to go but just wanted to know if anyone else had used it on the GLD just to double check it would work OK, I think I’ll get one and worse case scenario if it doesn’t work with the desk I’ll swap it with my home router and have the Apple at home.
    Cheers guys

MJPA Hire
    Participant

So, an update on using Airport Extreme as a router for the GLD.

After many attempts of different combinations of i.p addresses on the GLD desk network setup screen the only way the GLD could be seen for longer than ten minutes before a mixer connection error message came up on GLD remote was to have the dhcp turned on, on the GLD……

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.