Recording level low USB

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recording level low USB

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Newbie here. We have a SQ7 and we are trying to do a simple recording using just two condenser microphones and recording it via stereo to the USB thumb drive. It seems to be recording fine and the volume is fine when we play it back through the main house speakers. The issue is that when I remove the USB from the sq7 and plug it into a computer the DB levels are extremely low and we can hardly hear the performance. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

that is the way digital works

SQ gives 18dB headroom to protect against clipping.
    Your DAW will give it another 18dB (maybe a little lesa)

you need to normalize for peaks and remove the DC offset while amplifying the usb file to the level you want to use for playback by the PC

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Okay good to know. I will play around with it in audacity and hopefully the sound quality will sound just as good as when I play it through the house. Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me much appreciated.

volounteer
    Participant

@Jon

use audacity normalize function – that is more than adequate and easy to do for this purpose

normalize to -18 dB while removing DC offset
    do any other editing tweaks fx yada yada that you want
    then normalize to -6dB for playback (you could go to -1 safely but some AD/DA chips have minor issues at their extreme limits)
    lower the gain on the SQ input or DAW to reach the dBSPL that you want to listen at, or raise it some if you should need more gain

Profile photo of JohnOC
    JohnOC
    Participant

Thanks for the topic.
    Had noticed the same when pulling the USB into OBS as well and thought it was around 20db.

Would also second normalising using the Audicity Effect function – its my first action when I take the recording off our Qu-16 in the other church.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

As @volounteer says, there is 18dB of headroom in the digital realm so the main thing to remember is that 0dB on the meters = -18dBFS (Full Scale, used for digital).
    You can find more info about levels and metering in the SQ (and Qu) on our knowledgebase here – https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/levels-and-metering-in-qu-and-sq

volounteer
    Participant

@JohnOC

you get 18dB headroom from the SQ
    you may not have recorded to the peak so get a few more dB – that could be your 20 value
    and you may get up to another 18dB from the PC/DAW

but it is all digital and the DR is humongous as is the SNR
    so you can still raise the signal in the PC without problems with noise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.