Question: Control Allen & Heath QU-24 from Cockos Reaper (not the other way roun

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Question: Control Allen & Heath QU-24 from Cockos Reaper (not the other way roun

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Salem874
    Salem874
    Participant

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a rather basic question, I must admit I’m new still a novice at this (working in a voluntary capacity).

We have an Allen & Heath QU-24, and I see you can use it’s Custom Layer to control a DAW/edit suites faders/controls like that of Cockos Reaper. I’ve got it set up. But I was wondering, is it at all possible to do the other way round? As in, to control the mixer’s channels 1, 2, 3 etc. from within Reaper?

Am I hoping for too much in wanting to control the mixer from within a suite like Reaper? If it is possible, can anyone point me in the direction of some info?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you have Reaper set up correctly you can control fader levels.. mutes
    But why would you want to do that?

Salem874
    Participant

Thanks, I guess I’m after guidance as to how to set it up “correctly”?

As i say, i have the customer layer set to MIDI which means the mixer can control the Reaper DAW, but not the otherway round to control the various channels on the mixer itself.

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Salem,

The easiest way to control the Qu faders and mutes from Reaper would be to use the CC Translator protocol available in the latest version of DAW Control Driver.

Unfortunately, this does mean you won’t be able to use DAW Control via the Mackie protocol at the same time.

You can find more information on the CC Translator here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/DAW-Control-Help-V1.7.pdf#page=5

It may also be worth having a look at the Qu MIDI protocol here: https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu_MIDI_Protocol_V1.9.pdf

Thanks!
    Alex

Salem874
    Participant

Thanks @alex A&H

I’ll certainly look at the CC Translator.

I’ve tried the MIDI protocol documentation, but being new the whole thing, I was a bit overwhelming 🙂

Salem874
    Participant

(I tried editing my post, but seems I can’t…)

I’ve looked at the CC Translator, and I think I understand the concept (in theory). I just now need to work out how to configure Cockos or a similar DAW suite (on Windows) to control the QU-24 using either Control Change or MIDI…

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Salem,

In Reaper, I’ve found you can use the ReaMIDIControl plugin to send out a control change message via automation.

If you’d like assistance in setting that up, please go to support@allen-heath.com to start a ticket.

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.