QU24 Midi pedal FX toggle on & off

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU24 Midi pedal FX toggle on & off

This topic contains 45 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SoundsOK SoundsOK 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Hi Everyone….

Looking for a midi solution to toggle QU24 FX on and off…

I have my FX returns routed to a mute group and looking for information to use a Midi pedal via the network port.

1) What are the values to program a pedal with…

2) Can anyone recommend a couple of pedals to choose from…

I’ve downloaded the Midi protocol info from the QU24 downloads on the A&H site…

I should say I’ve routed the FX to a soft key so looking to toggle a soft key on and off…

The object is to turn reverb on and off between songs during an acoustic show with the mixer onstage with me…

I need to do this with a footswitch to leave my hands free to tune-up/change harmonicas etc….

I have looked over one or two posts regarding this issue but would appreciate any thoughts in addition…

Super thanks in advance for any and all constructive replies.

Sharpie.

Profile photo of Hirblinger69
    Hirblinger69
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    this seems to be of common interest. However, not that many responses including a solution so far. I need to solve this als well.

Any ideas and proposals on this?

Thanks a lot and best regards

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

You may find this thread useful:

Custom Made FX Mute Foot Switch (TCP/IP)

Or

I’ve set up a chap who works solo gigs with a silent,, A/B switch on his vocal mic. Lets him have a singing channel as normal, and a talking one, with slightly different eq, and no effects. His desk is just a tiny 4 input analogue thing but it would work with any system.

Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Hey MarkPAman….

Well gosh-darnit..why didn’t I think of that…doh!!!

Perfect…even if I have a couple of other acts on I still have plenty enough channels to do this…Now that’s what I call a perfect no bother solution …

Thankyou sir and go straight to the top of the class!!!

MarkPAman
    Participant

Glad to be of assistance!

Just noticed that the link I intended to post is not there. The other thread is this one:

Custom Made FX Mute Foot Switch (TCP/IP)

Edit: oh it’s still not there for me, though I can see it as I edit this post. Hmmmm

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Hi,

When I first bought my QU back in January 2014 I came across the same problem, so I had a word with our techie who said it was no problem to make a pedal that sent midi control to switch on/off the FX. He made a prototype just to test A&H midi protocol worked, it did.

This was some time ago, to keep cost down he said he work on it as and when he had an hr here and an hr there spare. Another reason I didn’t press him too much was due to the fact that at that time the QU series desks would only allow one connection, and as I already had my iPad connected, that ruled out a footswitch.

Since the firmware was updated to except two connections I have since brought back to life the idea of an FX footswitch, but since my initial quest I have asked him to make it wireless, so this project is still very much ongoing. Our techie says he is likely to make about 6 pedals in total as that will make the costs lower if he can sell the other 5.

So keep in touch and once things start moving again I will give you a time scale.

🙂

Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Hi Lee many thanks for replying…

I remember yours was one of the first posts I found on the subject and very helpful…

Wondering if it’s definate that new firmware version allows 2 things to be connected through network port…

What would be the way to go about connecting all this up if a Router for ipad and a pedal need to be conected…I’m a total novice when it comes to wireless stuff…

If it all can be conected I’d definately be interested in the pedal..

The A+B box solution in MarkPAman’s post is great and there is an XLR A+B box on the market for around $70 (plus shipping to UK

Your solution is very interesting though…I haven’t got as far as Using ipad yet, still saving pennies to buy ipad and router and if a midi pedal can be connected as a second connection your solution is a very good one also.

Many thanks for all your input Lee..

Sharpie

Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Hey Folks here’s a link to an XLR A+B footswitch for markPAman’s 2 channel switching solution

Sharpie

Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant
    Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Here’s a switching solution from Whirlwind..this one is active

https://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/miclineinst-switchers/selector-xl

Sharpie

Profile photo of Sharpie
    Sharpie
    Participant

Hi Lee many thanks for replying…

I remember yours was one of the first posts I found on the subject and very helpful…

Wondering if it’s definate that new firmware version allows 2 things to be connected through network port…

What would be the way to go about connecting all this up if a Router for ipad and a pedal need to be conected…I’m a total novice when it comes to wireless stuff…

If it all can be conected I’d definately be interested in the pedal..

The A+B box solution in MarkPAman’s post is great and there is an XLR A+B box on the market for around $70 (plus shipping to UK

Your solution is very interesting though…I haven’t got as far as Using ipad yet, still saving pennies to buy ipad and router and if a midi pedal can be connected as a second connection your solution is a very good one also.

Many thanks for all your input Lee..

Sharpie

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Yes, the QU can now except two iPads or in my case, 1 iPad and a footswitch.

I will be speaking to our techie at some point this week so will ask him to press on.

Cheers
    Lee

MarkPAman
    Participant

Another A/B box, in the UK.

Link

One of the ones linked in a post above is 2 inputs to one output. This job needs the other way around, to connect the same mic to either of two input channels.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The Palmer box is two-into-one, a one-into-two box is required here. Even if the Palmer box may work reverse, strange XLR adapter cables would be required (same with the passive box from first link).

MarkPAman
    Participant

Damn. Was looking at two boxes and linked the wrong one……

Hang on….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.