Qu vs. SQ: Please share your recording experience

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Qu vs. SQ: Please share your recording experience

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gravyface
    gravyface
    Participant

Posted this in the Qu forums, but figured I’d post it here.

Looking for feedback from those who’ve gone from a Qu to an SQ, specifically from a recording context, not so much live.

Considering selling my Qu-24 and buying an SQ5.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The SQ5 offers a unique flexibility to deploy world class external I/Os with the DX168 d-Live pres and converters or the ultimate world class detailed transparency available with a DX32 loaded with 32 bit Prime I/Os. Both of these expansion stage boxes are optimized for the 24/96k FPGA processing offered with the SQ line. With that said the critical question to be answered is whether or not the musical genre you are into and the skill level of your performers will largely determine whether or not the SQ will be a big improvement. Acoustic music performed by highly skilled performers playing exquisite retro vintage instruments absolutely require the move up to SQ5. However if you are working with hot back line pop bands the last thing probably that will be required is enhanced detailed transparency.

I abandoned my prized 24 channel A&H analog console for a digital QU16 and a QUsb about 15 years ago. 10 years ago a Digigrid /WavesLV1 recording system replaced my Alesis HD24XR digital recorder. This was my Introduction to Digico “D” pres and converters that were a vast improvement over the QU front end capture. When comparable sonics with the Digigrid became available with the SQ5, I jumped on it for my live shows. After the deployment of a DX168 & DX32, front end studio capture became a no brainer. I use the pre amp only option for the SQ tie lines to my Digigrid/Waves system for all of my studio recordings.The SQ5 allows custom tailored HP cue mixes for all of my session performers with out printing any of their requested embellishments.
    I hope this helps your decision a little bit.
    Hugh

Profile photo of gravyface
    gravyface
    Participant

Actually it confuses my decision a bit, because the goalposts are being moved around here.

Did you ever compare your Qu recordings direct to your SQ recordings, using the onboard pres and no additional hardware/processing?

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Apparently the internal recording protocol is essentially the same with all of the A&H desks. IMO the primary difference is with the SQ’s flagship FPGA processing that accommodates 24/96K processing that enables the option to purchase sonically superior I/Os and improved FX software.
    I bought the DX168 with the SQ5 to get the D-Live I/Os that were very similar to the Digico “D” I/Os in my Digigrid/WavesLV1 recording system. I am certain the standard SQ I/Os are at least equal if not superior to the QU’s: however I never had a reason to use my SQ5 with out either my DX168 or DX32 loaded with primes.

Plug up an SQ5 and the difference will either be worth the investment in time and money or it will not!
    My deal is probably not the same as yours so my priorities may not be relevant to your work flow.
    Hugh

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.