Qu-sb, problem with scenes.

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-sb, problem with scenes.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

Hi folks, I’m having a bit of an issue with the scenes on my qu-sb. I had no issues until recently saving and recalling scenes, but just now I can’t seem to get it to work properly. I have nothing blocked in the global filter settings, but I set safes on LR and ST1 on each scene I save, so that FOH eq and ST1, which I use for an ipod for backing music remain unaffected when changing scenes. The trouble I’m having is, for example, for my own band I have a scene where custom layer 1 just brings up the vocal strips for rehearsing, custom 2 has the strips for our basic pub gig channels, and custom 3 has everything for bigger shows with full drum kit mixing etc. When I recall another scene and work in it and save it (to its own slot), then recall the scene for my own band, the custom layers have all changed from what I saved. What am I doing wrong here? Probably something simple I know, but it’s really frustrating me!

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

Just to clarify, I’ve just played around with it some more, and realised I need to set up separate scenes for, say, practise and a pub gig, due to different mix requirements. So I set up a scene for rehearsal with custom layer 1 used to show just the 3 vocal channel strips we need, reverb, and the ipod playback channel. But now, when I recall any other scene, custom layer 1 just shows those same channel numbers, but with the correct channel names showing for the scene I’ve recalled.

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

It doesn’t seem to be importing the custom layers with the scene, although the global filter is set to allow it.

Profile photo of rhill
    rhill
    Participant

Unfortunately it’s one of the downfalls of the QU series(I have Qu-PAC, QU16, QU24). No custom layers 1/2/3 do not save with the scenes. But setting them up is a snap when in the layer and going right to set up to pick what you want in. I just received my SQ6 and hope that was fixed in the new app.

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

I’m a bit puzzled why the global safe has an option to block custom layers from the scene? I was under the impression the scene was saved in the mixer but the custom layers saved on the ipad?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On the QU Pad app the three custom layers channels are stored in the app in that iPad.
    So if you have channels 2,6,8,9 and 20 in a custom layer that layer will always
    have those five channels in it but that names and channel processing settings will change with the presets.

Now there is as option in the app set up to set custom layer 1 to follow how the custom layer
    is set up in the mixer.

To get to that option you need to open up the app settings from the setting menu on the iPad.

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

Sorry to bring this up again, but can somebody please explain to me what the ‘block/allow’ setting in the global filters in the’scenes’ tab actually does? Thank you in advance.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sorry to bring this up again, but can somebody please explain to me what the ‘block/allow’ setting in the global filters in the’scenes’ tab actually does? Thank you in advance.

The function that is blocked will not be updated with a new scene recall, say you changed some channel names but the channel names function is blocked, when you recall a new scene the channel names will stay the same.

When a scene is saved all the settings are saved regardless of what is blocked as well as anything that is set to safe so if you want to a function to be recalled later un blocking or removing a safe will let it be updated.

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the ‘custom layer’ block/allow option. It doesn’t seem to make a difference how it’s set?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

On the iPad only custom layer 1 can be set to follow the custom layer in the mixer.
    Custom layers 2 & 3 are always stored in the iPad. If for instance in custom 2 you have
    channels 4 – 8 assigned those channels will always be in custom 2 but the channel processing, routing, names, ect will change with scene changes.

Profile photo of Coleye
    Coleye
    Participant

What I mean is – it doesn’t seem to do anything different whether the ‘custom layer’ button in the global filters is set to ‘block’ or ‘allow’. What I’m trying to figure out is what the ‘block’ or ‘allow’ options for the custom layers of supposed to do. As in, if it’s set to ‘allow’ for example, to allow the custom layers to be overwritten, what should they be overwritten by? When changing scenes, as you said – the same channel numbers are still the ones in the custom layers as in the previous scene. Sorry if I’m being stupid and missing something obvious, but if the custom layers in the ipad always hold the same channel numbers when changing scenes, then I’m not getting the intention of the block/allow option in global filters.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Did you set the app option for custom 1 to follow mixer?
    That set up is in the APP set up menu not in the actual QU Pad APP.
    If not the custom layer you set up on the mixer will not show up
    on the iPad.

Since you have a QU SB there is not other way to display the custom layer but on the iPad APP.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.