QU-Pac with audio rack questions

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-Pac with audio rack questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I have a QU-16 and love it, but we need more outputs. It’s such a bummer that the QU-16 is not expandable….but I digress.

I am considering getting a QU-pac and audio rack expander. I have a couple questions:

If I get an AR-84, can I add more AR-84s in the future? Can I have three AR-84s and the QU-pac?
    I am assuming the outputs on the expander are completely independent of the inputs, right? Can I send any input from the QU-pac to the outputs of the expander?

Anyone know if there is any chance that the QU-sb would ever be able to be slaved to a QU-pac?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If I get an AR-84, can I add more AR-84s in the future? NO

Can I have three AR-84s and the QU-pac? NO

On QU series only one 84 can be used at end of a chain.
    Have to get AR2412 or AB168. Can add a AR084 after one of those.

I am assuming the outputs on the expander are completely independent of the inputs, right? Can I send any input from the QU-pac to the outputs of the expander? YES

Anyone know if there is any chance that the QU-sb would ever be able to be slaved to a QU-pac? DOUBT IT.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Well, depends how you read the question, but:

“Can I send any input from the QU-pac to the outputs of the expander?” NO!

You can send any output of the QU-pac to any output of the stage box, but not inputs directly. If you need an input signal to appear at an output, you’ll have the eat up a mix, or group, to make this happen.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mark. I didn’t respond literally the correct way. You did. I meant you can assign any input. But it would have to be through an output. With GLD you can do a direct input to output.

Profile photo of Mbirame
    Mbirame
    Participant

ok. Thanks guys.

What happen to the extra 8 inputs on the 2412 when plugged in to a QU-pac? Am i understanding correctly that the maximum number of INPUTS for a QU-pac would be all the inputs on the QU-pac plus the inputs on a AB168, BUT the full number on OUTPUTS would be with a 2412?

In other words, there is not optimum external box that will give you both max inputs and outputs without having 8 unusable inputs?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You either tag on another box or use he first 8 as LOCAL from the QUPac. 24 set to dSnake. 24+8=32

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

“In other words, there is not optimum external box that will give you both max inputs and outputs without having 8 unusable inputs?”

Gives you flexibility!

The AR-2412 inputs can be patched to any input you want, so it’s possible to have all 24 on stage + 8 of the desks ones. Also, the 3 Stereo inputs of the QU can also be taken from the AR-2412’s preamps, so you can use up another 6 with those.

If the AB-168 had been available when I got my desk, I’d probably have got that, rather than the AR-2412, but I’m now glad I didn’t, as I have more options available with the larger box.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I run a QU16 with an AR2412
    I have used most of the inputs – 16 mono, 6 as stereo inputs for a show.

The other useful approach is at festivals, where you can switch between scenes, with a new band plugged into the channels you didn’t use for the previous band…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.