QU-24 USB cable prevents computer form booting into Windows

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-24 USB cable prevents computer form booting into Windows

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Geoff Geoff 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of markusd1984
    markusd1984
    Participant

Any advice if there is a setting in QU-24 that may prevent a computer booting into Windows?

I already disabled all USB devices in the BIOS Boot sequences of the computer (Lenovo M73) inc. Secure Boot.

Currently we need to unplug the USB cable during booting or need the sound desk to be off, otherwise it remains stuck with a blinking dash.
    It looks like the PC treats the active USB connection like a USB drive, after unplugging it continues just fine.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The desk is just an audio device.
    There is something wrong with your PC.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

After it’s booted will it work then when you connect to the mixer?

markusd1984
    Participant

Yes it works just fine, I’m streaming via OSB (although btw. the main volume/gain on the overall output is crazy low and really surprised there is no setting from what I read to increase that, I had to max out the gain of 24db in OBS settings and added another 30db via a filter = 54db and I’m still not near -6 db area lol).

I suspect it’s an issue/setting of that Lenovo PC, just thought I’ll ask in case I missed something at the sound desk, cheers.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Go into the computer’s BIOS settings and change the boot order to boot the HD before the USB, or disable USB booting altogether.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Scott has a good suggestion.

For the audio level, I’m going to assume your just sending the main L R mix via USB to OBS?

If that’s the case and you just want to use the L R mix for streaming try using a matrix output sent to OBS and in that matrix mix bring up the main L R. Using a matrix will let
    you bring up the levels and add processing, set the L R to PRE in the matrix.

The next step would be to set up a completely independent mix for live stream.

markusd1984
    Participant

Thanks Scott, I already removed all USB devices in the boot order (which is what I meant with boot sequence), that’s why I’m so surprised.
    Lenovo support of course gave the same advice.

Thanks Mike, great tip with using a matrix output, didn’t realised that. If I understand it correctly, to set this up I go to:
    Routing > Matrix Sends > MTX 1-2 Pre On, adjust Level db to desired volume for OBS.

When MTX 1-2 is ON does that automatically go through USB to OBS (instead of regular output how it currently did so far) or how do I send it through?
    (I’ll get to check it some day soon how its setup and working, cheers.)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You will need to go into the I/O patch menu and and on the USB patch page set the matrix to be on the needed tracks for your OBS to see them.

markusd1984
    Participant

awesome, thanks Mike I’ll try that soon.

Profile photo of Geoff
    Geoff
    Participant

I discovered the same problem 3 years ago, running Windows 10 on a generic desktop with AMD processor. No solutions were offered at the time, except to allow the computer to boot before turning on the QU-16. It sounds like things haven’t progressed past that.

BTW, for streaming I prefer to use the L/R outputs as my main streaming output, and set mix levels to get a proper (-10 dBFS) output to go to the interface. Typically I’ll have quite a lot of make-up gain in the bus limiter to get there. Then I treat the PA as just a monitor feed, although I set to sends to Post-fade. It takes a little bit of juggling of the PA mix to get them both sounding right, particularly with effects, but it creates a good “one console” solution. This way the console headphone feed is the streaming mix, unless you AFL/PFL something. If you want to hear the PA mix, simple take the headphones off.

Geoff

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.