Qu-24 – usb b mix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-24 – usb b mix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

at 17:35 I heard paper rustling.
    at 17:44 sounded like static or crackling noise.
    at 17:59 it sounded more like bacon frying.

None of them were consistent. Although some were similar.

It is definitely worth getting the last firmware version.
    But if that does not do it I would look at all the connectors and where they are placed.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

@ultranator

I just though of something and listened to you video again.

The first 8min 50 seconds of the video is silent, I’m guessing the mix or matrix
    out to the live stream was muted.
    During that time there was no static at all, dead clean silence, at 8:50 when the sound comes on so does the static for the rest of the service.

With that I leaning more to the issue is not USB related because the USB is still communicating between the mixer and the computer during the silent section and there is
    no noise.

Have you listened to the mix feeding the live stream with headphones, if so do you
    hear any noise at that point.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I was thinking it could have to do with the PC trying to find a wifi network. That can cause a processor spike, I’ve been there…

Also, think about core-parking…

Giga

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Or could it be that they had not gone live from OBS and that the sound issue was there ready to start when they did begin the video.

Giga

The PC with OBS should have already found the network so it could begin sending the video+audio to utoob.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Or could it be that they had not gone live from OBS and that the sound issue was there ready to start when they did begin the video.

Look to me like they were live with video for about 8 minutes but with no audio feed turn on.

There was even a comment on the video from someone watching that they could not hear any sound.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Doesn’t matter, even if a computer is connected to some network it still keeps looking around for others (unless you instruct it specifically not to do so)

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Doesn’t matter, even if a computer is connected to some network it still keeps looking around for others (unless you instruct it specifically not to do so)

In that case I would have though we would stil hear the noise on the other wise silent section at the beginning.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

We go live with a placeholder for 30 minutes at our church, and then switch to the actual video with sound.

Now they could have had the sound on with the dummy video but I know it was off.
    How you ask?

At the 5’s minutes or so they switched to other announcements and about 7 mins the video started;
    at *+7:29 there was a message posted that they (kaitlin fraze) could not hear any sound;and there is no sound then when I play it.
    at +8:19 phillip hudson posts: No sound? confirming the viewing audience does not have sound.

At *+8:49 the sound starts with a hissy crackle, which is clearly when the sound was turned on.
    Now was it switched on then at the Qu or in OBS?

later at +23:03 Carol Taylor posts: ​Can’t hear . Hello Caitlin.
    This message does not show until you get to that point in the video.
    I heard it fine then but the volume seems to be a bit lower. Perhaps they adjusted around then to stop the noise issue.

Near the end around 1:02 they play song with no noise problems so I now how to suspect it was in the source for the mikes.
    Did they use RF mikes?
    There could be a radar swinging around that blips the receiver on a periodic basis.

We really need a lot more information to track down what the cause of the noise is.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Actually I was thinking along the lines of some form of RF interference as a possibility, RF ingress through a bad or mis wired cable or interference coming through on a used wireless mic or on a wireless mic receiver where the transmitter is turned off.

volounteer
    Participant

There are many ways for RF to get in.

Any cable is a likely target whether for mikes or DI boxes/instruments, or mikes, snakes, usb, et al.

The question is why is the noise mostly periodic but not quite exactly.
    Although that might be us trying to determine the time line from utoobs time stamp.

Profile photo of Ultranator
    Ultranator
    Participant

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will check the firmware tomorrow.
    I have a video that shows slide shows of our bulletin for about 5 minutes before music starts. We were having difficulty getting started in that video, so it was a little bit before we got the sound to work. I think it’s interesting that you mentioned an RF interference. One of our parishioners also said it sounded like an RF path is being attenuated.

volounteer
    Participant

@ultranator

If it is RF then updating the firmware may not fix it.
    We have v1.9 and had a problem with an open cable loose on stage.
    Problem solved when we rolled it up. (They might have done something else but that is all I saw).

Is the noise new? Any equipment or cables new?
    Did anything change recently before you noticed it?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Thank you to everyone who replied. I will check the firmware tomorrow.
    I have a video that shows slide shows of our bulletin for about 5 minutes before music starts. We were having difficulty getting started in that video, so it was a little bit before we got the sound to work. I think it’s interesting that you mentioned an RF interference. One of our parishioners also said it sounded like an RF path is being attenuated.

Attenuated is probably the wrong term here.

Do you the static sound in the sound system in the church or in headphones connected
    to the mixer?

Profile photo of Ultranator
    Ultranator
    Participant

Hey, double thanks. I checked the firmware, and it was 1.90, so I updated it to 1.95 today, and we didn’t have any of the static. I never would have thought it would require an update. Thanks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hey, double thanks. I checked the firmware, and it was 1.90, so I updated it to 1.95 today, and we didn’t have any of the static. I never would have thought it would require an update. Thanks.

Good to hear it was an easy fix, the last firmware update addressed that very issue.

Updating the firmware was easier than hunting down and fixing RF ingress!
    One day I’ll tell you about the church I had a service call at where a 500 watt AM transmitter tower is in their back yard!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.