Qu-24 – usb b mix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-24 – usb b mix

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dniss18
    dniss18
    Participant

I’m trying to record audio during a concert. I want the main house over LR and the Usb b to send what I have set for mix 1. Is this possible? I’m sorry, I’m basically a complete noob to audio engineering.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What are you recording to via the USB B output?

In the IO set up menu under the USB tab you can assign any of
    the channel direct outs or any of the mixers mix outputs to any of
    the tracks on the USB output.

Just touch the track you want to assign and use the rotary input knob
    to scroll through the choices, find what you want and hit apply.

What your recording into will determine where you assign mix 1

You can also assign mix 1 to be recorded on the USB QU drive.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Yes. but…..

What are you sending it to? a DAW ??
    Better to run a cable from the mixm,n out to an audio interface then into your PC.

You can assign mixm,n to go to channel 1,2 in the usbB stream;
    or you can record to Qu drive and sneaker net it later.

Do be aware that there is the potential for assorted problems with usb that may need to be fixed.
    YMMV but you should be aware of it should you have problems.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If you use a Windows PC you will need to download and install the driver for usb audio from the board. Once installed, I believe, set channels 1 & 2 on the Qu’s usb i/o settings (set 17 and 18 just to be sure) to your Mix 1 L/R. On the PC, in your recording app, set the Qu as the recording source. If your using a DAW that uses ASIO, you can record all the channels on your PC.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

at the same time ?

I thought you could only send to one usb path at a time.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I thought you could only send to one usb path at a time.

On the QU you can send to both USB paths at the same time.

On the SQ you can not.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

Thanks

I thought I remembered that was the Qu limit to either one
    Guess I misread the block diagram and signal flow diagrams.

Profile photo of Ultranator
    Ultranator
    Participant

Hello, I am also having problems with my USB sound with a qu-24. We have been upping our game with our church’s live stream, and found a way to use a USB sound input from our Allen and Heath QU-24 mix board into a Windows Laptop running OBS. We have the correct drivers, and are using the Bassio plugin. The audio works, ad sounds pretty good except there’s a digital static that keeps popping up every few seconds that sounds like the Decepticon hacking the White House on Transformers. (It’s the best way I know to describe it.) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here’s a sample, it starts off silent so you’ll have to skip ahead a little.

https://youtu.be/5coVXpzHA2w

Thank you for any help.

volounteer
    Participant

@ultranator

First I note that most churches send a mix to OBS using one channel with L & R , although some might use mono.
    Very few seem to be using usb to send many channels from Qu to livestream PC.

That video did not seem to play automatically. When I got it started there was no sound for a long time.
    I moved into the middle and got blasted with a very high signal. Did not stay for the noise you mention;
    but I have to think that you are actually clipping based on the levels I heard and your description of the noise.

Your sample was also quite long. How about just posting the part that has the noise. A couple of minutes would be plenty.

You might also do better to post a separate question about your noise than to add to a generic usb question.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

ello, I am also having problems with my USB sound with a qu-24. We have been upping our game with our church’s live stream, and found a way to use a USB sound input from our Allen and Heath QU-24 mix board into a Windows Laptop running OBS. We have the correct drivers, and are using the Bassio plugin. The audio works, ad sounds pretty good except there’s a digital static that keeps popping up every few seconds that sounds like the Decepticon hacking the White House on Transformers. (It’s the best way I know to describe it.) Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here’s a sample, it starts off silent so you’ll have to skip ahead a little.

I heard the noise around the 9 min mark.

Fist of all what input source are you using for the audio feed to OBS, everything sounded like it was pick up from just a single open mic in the middle of the room and not any direct mix source inputs.

In the IO set up menu under the USB tab you can select any input or any output mix to be assigned to any of the USB output tracks/channels.

What version of firmware are you running on the mixer?

Can you confirm that the noise is not coming in from an open input channel on the mixer?

Do you also record directly to the computer using OBS, if so does the noise show up on the recording>

Maybe as a test mute every input on the mixer and do a test recording and or live stream and see if the noise appears.

volounteer
    Participant

I went back to the *+9 minute mark and did hear a noise but it sounded more like hitting a drum with a brush instead of a stick.
    Later I thought I heard some sort of drum being hit softly. Maybe a tambourine hit with fingernails.

I did not hear digital static nor anything that pops up every few seconds like you described.

Now if the noise is not at the *+9 mark then please leave a short sample with just the noise so we don’t have to watch the whole hour plus production to find it.

Would be better if you could just post the audio file snippet so we could analyze the wave form and spectrum easier.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I went back to the *+9 minute mark and did hear a noise but it sounded more like hitting a drum with a brush instead of a stick.
    Later I thought I heard some sort of drum being hit softly. Maybe a tambourine hit with fingernails.

I did not hear digital static nor anything that pops up every few seconds like you described.

Now if the noise is not at the *+9 mark then please leave a short sample with just the noise so we don’t have to watch the whole hour plus production to find it.

Would be better if you could just post the audio file snippet so we could analyze the wave form and spectrum easier.

You could not hear that!!!
    I could hear clearly starting around 9 minutes and through the next few minutes
    I listed to both during the music and spoken word.

No need to try to look at the waveform on an analyzer!!

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I know what I heard.

You can say my hearing is bad but you have no way to say I did not hear that.
    You would do better to say my description differed from how you would have said it.
    I did not hear anything repeating except as described and it was so mild as to be overlooked if you were not looking to hear something.

Sorry, but I have to look at waveforms and spectrum to fully understand what I am hearing.
    Ditto VU and LUFs meters to know the actual intensity of the sound.
    Your golden ears may not need the AI assist that my average ears do.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

Ultranator, make sure you are using the latest firmware. When our church first tried using the usb I/O on the computer sending the live stream (we use Livestream Studio 6), we would get the intermittent static. We updated to the latest firmware (which lists a fix for this problem in its release notes), and it did fix the problem for us.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

At the following video time line times you can hear static at….
    9:00, 9:08, 9:16, 9:25, 9:32, 9:43, 9:52, 10:03

and then jumping to up to spoken word parts…17:35, 17:44, 17:59.

All at about 8 to 10 sec intervals.

Checking the boards firmware would be the first thing to do, let us
    know what it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.