Qu-24 Malfunction? Mains output coming through Mix outputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qu-24 Malfunction? Mains output coming through Mix outputs

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 6 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cp
    cp
    Participant

I’ve got a Qu-24. We are running the monitors out of Mix 7-8, but it does not matter which mix, the same problem occurs when we hook the monitors to Mix 1 for instance. That cable goes directly from the Mix output to powered monitors. The main (L/R) outputs go to an amp, and then directly to a set of unpowered speakers.

Regularly, all the sound begins going through the powered speakers hooked to Mix 7-8 (or any other mix output). If the MAIN (L/R) is raised or lowered, the monitors hooked to the Mix raise and lower. All sounds stops coming out of the main speakers that are hooked directly to the MAIN (L/R) and the Qu-24 Main (L/R) controls suddenly only control the Mix output.

A work around is to save the scene. When the sound starts going through Mix 7/8 monitors only, then going to the scene and hitting restore will correct it and the speakers hooked to the Main (L/R) will begin working with the Main (L/R) controls again. Resetting the board fixes it too. Then it happens again.

This would be physically impossible with an old fashioned board (barring some sort of electrical short) but the digital Qu-24 seems to confuse the Mix outputs with the Mains at random moments.

Am I missing something here or is this just the fun of digital?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I assume your using the outputs on the mixer and not a stage box.

I take it that if you do not touch the main LR master everything/mixes work as they should then as soon as you move the main LR master all the problems start and the only
    way to fix it is with a scene recall or rest.

Did you do the full board reset back to factory out of the box, what firmware version is loaded?

Profile photo of cp
    cp
    Participant

We aren’t using a stage box.

I’m not sure what causes the master outputs to quit working and all sound to start coming through the mix outputs. I do believe you are correct that if we don’t touch anything, it continues fine, but of course, during use we move sliders up and down to tweak volumes or use the PEQ to adjust levels as needed. I’ll check to see if moving the L/R slider causes it to happen.

This happens while using the Qu app on an ipad by the way. Perhaps if we threw that away and kept someone in the crows nest where the board is located, and moved the sliders by hand, it may not happen I suppose.

A scene recall or reset does seem to be the only way to fix it yes.

We did a board reset once. It fixed the problem, but then the problem appeared again.

I will check the firmware. Thank you for the help. We have updated it twice in the past 18 months and generally use the Qu app for controlling the board from an ipad so our sound guy can walk around the room.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you disconnect the iPad completely do you get the same issue using
    only the faders on the main surface?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

It may help shed some light on this if, at the point where it’s gone wrong, you save a (new) scene, before recalling your starting point.
    You’ll then be able to examine all the settings later, and could also post it here for others to take a look at.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

As Mark said if you could save the scene and one of us could examine it. I have had ppl email me a scene and I look and it on my Q16 and have found some problems and either returned the scene or told them what to change. I have access to a Q24 I can look on also but can probably do it on a 16 as well. I just think there is something wrong in routing.

Profile photo of cp
    cp
    Participant

We had a huge production that took all of my time so I’m slow getting back to this. I wanted to say thank you for the questions and suggestions. If it happens again, I will certainly save the scene and try to let you guys look at it.

The problem seems to have been resolved by doing a hard reset according to the manual instructions, and updating the firmware. I said earlier we reset it, but going through the manual I am sure our sound tech did not perform a hard reset. So I did that and updated the brains and it appears to be ok. We’ve used it for several weeks and in our production for hours and no other problems.

Our amp died, too and I’m suspicious that the amp was malfunctioning and messing with the board.

At least whatever demon was in the Qu24 seems to be possessing someone else’s system now.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed your demon’s not coming my way!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.