QU-16 How to play multitracks from qu-drive?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU-16 How to play multitracks from qu-drive?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giga Giga 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of zony
    zony
    Participant

I have downloaded a multitrack (13 wav. tracks) recording from Cambridge Music Technology
    https://cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/

Placed 13 wav files on qu-drive formated USB stick in folder F:\AHQU\USBMTK\QU-MT001
    I’ve also tried to place files in USBREC and USBPLAY folders

Patched the required channels in the source menu in the processing screen by
    selecting qu-drive as the global usb-source and selecting usb source for channels 1-13

In qu drive menu in the setup screen i can only find files in the multitrack menu but unable to play files.

What is the procedure to play multitracks from qu-drive?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You need 18 tracks. Simply copy current track 13 5 times and place them in spot 14 to 18.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of zony
    zony
    Participant

I added 5 tracks (18 track in total) and it still will not play.
    Any ideas?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Are they 48 kHz, 24 bit and exactly the same size ?

Profile photo of zony
    zony
    Participant

Files are 24-bit/44.1kHz resolution.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Conversion time it is….

Profile photo of zony
    zony
    Participant

Any idea where I can download multitracks with correct format?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

This is for SQ, but with the proper file / directory name changes it could apply to Qu as well. Use 24-bit / 48KHz for Qu.

https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402940122001-SQ-Re-Rendering-Files-for-SQ-Drive-Multitrack-Playback

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Hello @zony,

You can add your files into any DAW and re-render them all to be 48 kHz, 24 bit.
    If you don’t have access to a DAW, there are a few free to download online such as Audacity, Reaper, Tracks (And perhaps some others).

As it has been mentioned above, make sure that they are all the same size, correctly named and placed on the right folder.
    For your reference: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402944132753

Cheers,
    Rafael

Profile photo of zony
    zony
    Participant

I installed Reaper and rendered 18 tracks 24bit/48kHz in wav format, same length and named TRK**.WAV
    and I still get invalid project from QU-16. Any ideas what to do?

Profile photo of Swifty
    Swifty
    Participant

Hi, complete novice here and having the same issue with invalid project. Can I clarify what is meant by “same length” I see it referred to as “same size” too. I get same length but not same size. I converted the Cambridge Music Tech tracks to 24bit 48kHz and renamed as per convention, the folder is recognised but tracks won’t play. I used Soundforge Pro to convert using the “Save as” Audio: 48,000 Hz, 24 Bit, Stereo, not sure where to go next, any help gratefully received 🙂

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

You need 18 mono tracks. I usually load them into a DAW and then, with all 18 tracks selected, cut them all at the same time. That way you get 18 exactly the same size files.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Swifty
    Swifty
    Participant

Hi Giga – thanks for your reply, I have managed to get the multitrack replay working now, it was a file size thing. I still need to get my head round the need for all files to have the same size. What made it obvious to me was the pre\post compression size of each file, all tracks are the same length in time but the content will be more or less so compression needs to be applied to maintain a constant file size? I’m thinking compression is not a good thing and if, for instance, one track has just a single instance of a cow bell all tracks would need to be compressed to meet the size constraint?

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Nope, that cowbell track would consist of lots and lots of silence and one cowbell hit making the total length the same as f.i. a kick track with lots and lots of kick hits and very little silence. You cut the raw tracks all to the same length without cleaning them up first.

Giga

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.