Protect scenes, scenes notes or longer scene names, custom roles

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Protect scenes, scenes notes or longer scene names, custom roles

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zach Zach 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SonoBiancaBee
    SonoBiancaBee
    Participant

I’m working for a theater school and our SQ7 is most often used by students or the touring productions engineers. As there is no way to protect/lock scenes in the console, people keep accidentally overwriting the quick start scenes I’m leaving in the console. Having a way to protect those scenes would be an amazing time saver.

Also, the length of the name we can give to the scenes being so limited, it makes it hard to label those start scenes and be explicit about their different configurations: is it a 12 mono busses and all analog inputs? Is it a 16 USB inputs configuration to use with QLab? etc. Having a “notes” field, or at least longer scene names, would be a nice feature.

We have at least 6 typical configs that we use and while I can leave the scenes on a USB stick in the FOH booth, those break and get lost or stolen. Having them safe and well labeled in the board would be amazing.

Lastly, our current system architecture does not match any of the default “roles”. Being able to assign a custom scene as the a mix setting to reset the board to would be an awesome feature. having the ability to create custom roles that users can reset the console to would be great.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Edoardo
    Edoardo
    Participant

Hi, you could create users for the console, and you or whoever knows how to manage the console could have access to all the scenes. Everyone else would only be able to use scenes 1-250 (for example) and leave your startups and your default scenes untouched.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> As there is no way to protect/lock scenes in the console, people keep accidentally overwriting the quick start scenes I’m leaving in the console. Having a way to protect those scenes would be an amazing time saver.
    As Edoardo suggested, dividing admin and user(s) (1-10) would make sense.
    However, if you limit the number of scenes and thus hide them, the user will no longer be able to overwrite them, but s(he) will also not be able to load them.
    That’s why it might also be an option for you to design the user’s rights so that they can access all scenes, but are not allowed to overwrite scenes.
    (Unfortunately, this also applies to scenes that the user has saved himself.)

So you yourself would be the admin, secure yourself with a password, and create, for example, a user “Student1” (also possible without a password), who is only allowed to not overwrite any scenes.
    Then everything else stays as usual for “Student1”.

> Being able to assign a custom scene as the a mix setting to reset the board to would be an awesome feature. having the ability to create custom roles that users can reset the console to would be great.
    You could at least set a scene for a user it load when (s)he log in.

And you can also restrict a user in many other ways, such as not being able to format an inserted USB stick.
    Please see also in the manual from page 91.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

“Locking” a scene should prevent the “accidental” overwrites. Obviously it won’t prevent the purposeful overwrites if the user has permission to unlock scenes.

SonoBiancaBee
    Participant

Obviously locking a scene would not refrain anyone from unlocking it, but like Yamaha has always done would be fine. The point is to avoid accidental overwrites.

Ill dig in the users rights and see what can be done from there. Maybe I’ll just create a student user and restrict it to a range of scenes that I will adjust according to the needs once the base scene is recalled.

Having scene description/notes would be great. I feel like I’m writing channel names on a PM5D 😂

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

You can of course create a start scene 1 and set it up as a User Scene for the user and at the same time limit him to scenes 2-300.
    Then scene 1 is loaded for him when he logs in, but he cannot overwrite it.
    Individual scenes cannot be blocked – at least I woudn’t know how.

Unfortunately, the entire scene and show management is not in a good state and an overhaul would be urgently necessary.
    You can already find many articles about it in this forum.

SonoBiancaBee
    Participant

Unfortunately, the entire scene and show management is not in a good state and an overhaul would be urgently necessary.
    You can already find many articles about it in this forum.

Yeah… show control really was neglected on these consoles. Even my Behringer Wing, for half the price, has a FAR more in-depth and evolved show control/scene recall scheme. I’ve seen a musical come in and they literally avoided the whole console’s system and were using a 3rd party software on a computer to do the scenes recall. And I have to say that even the MIDI control on A&H boards is frustrating at best. I wish they would implement OSC control.

Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

+1 for longer scene names and/or notes. The SQ falls behind lower-end consoles like the Yamaha TF or X32 in this regard. I have worked on an Si Expression, which didn’t have notes, but at least you could have very long scene names to describe the type of mics, stage monitor setup, etc. Now we’re having to maintain a separate cheat sheet of scenes with more details, which is not very maintainable at all. Please support longer names/notes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.