Popping noise once booted up

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Popping noise once booted up

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of airickess airickess 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CD
    CD
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a QUSB and lately I have noticed a POP sound once the mixer has booted up. It happens every time once booted.

I have the latest firmware, and have even re loaded the firmware to see if this fixed the problem, but no It didnt.

IS this a common thing? What is the fix?
    FYI, I dont even have the mixer volume up and it still does it. Very strange.
    It happens about 3-4 times then it stops till I turn it off and start again.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

What is it connected to?
    Is it on all the outputs at the same time?
    Are you using a stage box?

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

It sounds like you have your sound system/speakers on during the boot process. Your speakers should not be turned on before the console and stage boxes are turned on and running normally. You should follow this simple rule…. speakers should always be turned on last and turned off first. If you don’t follow this sequence, many consoles will produce a loud “pop” through the speakers as they powerup. This was true even in the analog days.

Now more and more digital consoles are designed to prevent this “pop” (even some of the higher end A&H offerings), but I am not surprised that the QU doesn’t have this feature in an effort to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

To add to Brian’s point, on some gear (usually higher end gear) there are relays on the outputs to prevent popping when booting up. According to A&H, only the Avantis and the dLive S class of consoles have output relays to prevent this popping. As of this posting all other console in the A&H product line do not have relays (not sure about the AHM install line). So follow Brian’s advice about power up and power down procedures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.