Pick off point for aux mix in sq5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Pick off point for aux mix in sq5

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Titusnew Titusnew 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Titusnew
    Titusnew
    Participant

Hi, I would like to eq my inputs independently in aux mix than my main mix. How to do that?

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

I don’t believe you have an option to have two different EQ’s per channel but you can choose if you send to aux before or after the channel EQ. Of course, you can have an overall EQ on the master aux output.

If you truly wanted to do this, I believe you would have to patch the same input source to multiple channels and use some channels for your mains and some for your aux. You’ll get a full and independent channel strip for each even though they share the same physical input. Essentially cutting your max channel count in half.

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-6-Technical-Datasheet_G.pdf

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ_ReferenceGuide_V1_5_0.pdf (page 40)

Profile photo of IraBob
    IraBob
    Participant

I recommend mfusa’s solution to get fully independent control of eq and dynamics for your monitor mixes.

Titusnew
    Participant

Thank you so much for responding, OK now I understand, but one more doubt, what exactly is send to aux before or after channel eq? I didn’t get this.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

> what exactly is send to aux before or after channel eq?
    Maybe I just don’t understand the question.
    You can choose from 4 pre-fader-points – see manual page 40.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Post EQ for instance any changes made to the channel EQ for the main mix will also be applied to the aux send. Post insert would not have the channel strip EQ applied to the aux but would still have any channel insert processing applied.

Titusnew
    Participant

Thank you so much for the response, So in post insert mode also I won’t be able to change my eq in aux send??

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

I thought you already understood that you need 2 channels for each source where you need different EQ.
    So you have one channel with EQ for the Main and for the same input one channel with EQ for the AUX.
    I’m not the only one who does this with very important channels.

Titusnew
    Participant

Thank you so much for your patience, OK I got it very clearly. Thank for your time and clear response. I’m actually new to this concept.

But shouldn’t this feature be available in digital mixer in future.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

The biggest hurdles are certainly manageable handling of the existing hardware and the available DSP power.
    You may only want 1 additional EQ per channel -> + 48 EQs.
    The next one wants an additional EQ for each of the 12 mixes -> + 576 EQs.
    And the next person misses compressors …
    I dont know what would be possible with an SQ.
    But maybe in a reduced form for some channels – I think it would be good. )
    Just put it on the “SQ feature suggestions”.

Titusnew
    Participant

Yeah, it’s true. 😊😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.