Midi for external midi controller

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Midi for external midi controller

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m considering to connect a midi controller (that I have) other than an IP8 to my Solo.
    Reading the Midi TCP protocol manual, I see that you can select a channel, can you confirm that this works like a “Mix” button?
    My first wish is to be able to select a DCA via midi and have it spilled onto the Solo surface(I know the use of soft keys but I would like to extend the use to other things such as selecting Fx’s and using sends on rotaries).

Thanks

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Honestly one of the easiest integrations of Midi with A&H products is through using the third party app Mixing Station. It has Midi support built in and can act as the translator between the Midi devices and the consoles.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks,
    I’m discovering mixing station and so far I haven’t found the option that allows me to spill a dca on the console itself by selecting it in the application. And I’m not sure if this function is implemented via MIDI.
    (Spill dca in mixing station is ok).

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Ahh, now I understand what you are trying to do…. You said it in the first post, but it wasn’t clicking with me.

Unfortunately there is no specific option in MS to do that because the DCAs in MS are not actually the console’s DCAs. It’s an internal DCA unique to MS (which is helpful when your console doesn’t support DCAs – like the A&H CQ series).

I think the closest thing you are going to be able to come up with is a set of custom buttons on the midi device that will recall a scene on the Avantis with everything but the fader layers blocked with a scene filter.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Yes, finally since Director have the option to set layers unsynchronised between mixer and director maybe solution will be to have the same option for sofkeys.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Yes, finally since Director have the option to set layers unsynchronised between mixer and director maybe solution will be to have the same option for sofkeys.

Wait, what????

I didn’t realize this has been changed with Director. Being forced to share the same layers as the console was one of the biggest limitations of the Avantis Director IMHO. I always envied the DLive Director users in that regard. I’ll have to check it out again!

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Like mixer when you are on layers settings page, press “option” menu will appear to choose if you want layer are synchronized or not.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Thanks for the update! That saves me from doing a lot of research to figure it out.

Profile photo of Thad
    Thad
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s not currently possible to assign strips to the layers in Director that are different from the strip assignments on the physical Avantis (in other words, I don’t think it’s possible to have 6 layers on the Avantis and 6 layers in Director instead of having 6 layers that are shared between Avantis and Director).

Here’s my understanding:

Viewing of layers is unsynchronized between Director and the physical Avantis, which is good in my opinion. Neither Director nor the Avantis will “follow” the other in terms of which layer I’m viewing.

Strip Assign setup screen can optionally be synchronized from the Option menu that Flo84 describes (“Sync Selected Layer with Surface”). This allows the selected layer on the Strip Assign screen to follow the selected layer on the physical Avantis to make it a little easier to quickly select which layer you want to assign/deassign strips on.

Layout of strips on layers is always the same on the physical Avantis and in Director, to my knowledge. The “Sync Selected Layer with Surface” option only affects the Strip Assign Setup screen, not the synchronization of layer layouts or viewing between the physical Avantis and Director. Pretty sure it’s not possible to have a different strip/layer layout on the physical mixer and in Director.

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m sorry, Thad, you’re right !
    Since we don’t have all the information in the director’s manual, I’m the one who misunderstood how this option works.

Indeed, unchecking this option allows, when adjusting the assignments to the different layers, to not have the layers physically change on the console. Only on the settings page.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the clarification!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.