Microphone Presets

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Microphone Presets

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of viperius
    viperius
    Participant

We have a number of Shure SM58’s and I noticed that there are some professional presets for the QU series but not for the SQ series.
    Are they compatible or does anyone have any for the SQ5

Thanks
    Kenny

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

To be honest I would not put too much value in a microphone preset.
    Set the high pass and channel EQ appropriate for the source at the mic.
    A preset can not take into account the sound source at the mic, the room it’s being used
    in and the sound system.

viperius
    Participant

Thanks Mike. I am fairly new to all of this and you never know if something is going to useful or not.

Kenny

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Dear @viperius

A preset is a good way to start your adjustment and is always a good first reference is needed, specially when not having much time to setup.
    As advised by Mike, it is always good to include your own technique, knowledge and ears to adjust.

At the moment these presets are not available on SQ range, only for QU.

Cheers,
    Rafael

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You can create your own presets over time and save them to the library.

If you have a QU mixer handy you could always look at the presets settings and manually
    copy them into the SQ.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Mic presets are somewhat analogous to training wheels on a bicycle. Most SQ owners would never use them if they were available!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Rafael A&H
    Rafael A&H

Dear Hugh (And all),
    Thank you for your input.

We are very happy to know that most of SQ users are experienced and knowledgeable Sound Technicians, but some colleagues are not so yet.
    In that sense, I would say Mic Presets are more analogous to a book, which contains useful information that can however be useful for some, and perhaps for some not, and where you can always go back to review and re-check something, if it helps you.

Presets are used by a lot of good engineers constantly, as they provide a good start.

Cheers,
    Rafael

viperius
    Participant

Afraid not only got an SQ, unless there are some kind people out there… 🙂

Kenny

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

The most useful thing you can do is download the frequency charts (normally in the spec sheets) for the microphones that are going to be used. Look for things that may cause you problems, or benefit you,on a gig.

The Sennheiser e935 for example has a 2 octave wide 5 dB boost centred at around 5 kHz, plus a narrow extra boost at 10 kHz.
    This can make it brighter than other similar dynamic mics which helps to sell it (particularly to female vocalists) in a side by side comparison, but on a gig it can cause a few high end feedback issues and/or listening fatigue.
    Having a high mid set at 5 kHz with a Q of .5 and a high set at 10 kHz with a narrow Q, both at 0 gain but ready to roll off means you can deal with it instantly should you need to.

Eventually it becomes instinctive so you hear a prominent or lacking frequency and instantly set it and cut or boost without thinking, but it can still be useful to have a few things ready in advance – especially if someone is using a mic / capsule you’ve never mixed before!

viperius
    Participant

Good tip Dave I shall look for the spec sheets for the mics I have…

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

This thread is not linear with the terrific advantages the SQ offers to appropriately tweak any mic in any channel or an overall mix to the mains or alt mixes. I called the mic pre-sets training wheels because that is exactly what they are, in that they do not accommodate the output a specific user produces in a given space. They are a starting point that usually will need to be altered or reversed to ultimately get to where you will need to go. To that end Rafael, the book we need to read is SQ Reference Guide V1-5-0 (7.7 PEQ pg34 & 9.5 RTA’s pg46) This is the source for the real info teaching us all how to tweak channels or mixes appropriately with an SQ desk.
    Hugh

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.