ME-1 giving output distortion sound

Forums Forums ME Forums ME troubleshooting ME-1 giving output distortion sound

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bethelsound bethelsound 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of badzgirlz
    badzgirlz
    Participant

Hi~
    Im using 6 ME -1 with POE and my mixing console its DiGiCo S21, recently my instrument player told me that, ME-1 giving them distortion sound, its like my gain its too big, but actually its not. I even check my output signal on ME-1, and that suppose no reach a peak point line. Have anyone ever experiance this?

Profile photo of BOGNER
    BOGNER
    Participant

I am experiencing this problem, this is why I joined this forum, to find out how I can solve this problem… My guitar is distorted through the ME1… Even my high gain sounds are clipping somehow… And they are not clipping at the soundboard or thru PA

Profile photo of bethelsound
    bethelsound
    Participant

+1 for me. My worship leader’s vocal mic is doing this throughout the ME1 system. Definitely happens when he kicks his voice into high gear, as if it were clipping somewhere between my Qu-32 and the return back to the stage. As noted above, there is no evidence of clipping or of over-cranked gain on my console, so it’s hard to track down the parameters for this issue. Thought maybe it had something to do with gaining up the compressor and having the Global Direct Out for that signal set to post-comp, but I’ve had a hard time recreating it.

It is a big problem, as he eventually just pulls his in-ears out in frustration.

Would appreciate any insight on this…

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

The ME-1 can apply up to 10 dB of gain to a signal digitally, when the level for a channel is turned all the way up. Are you able to make sure that this is not the case for the channel in question? This would explain the signal clipping in the ME-1, but not in the desk.

Hope this helps

– Jeff

Profile photo of BOGNER
    BOGNER
    Participant

Thank you Jeff, am I better to keep the master volume on the ME one up a little bit and individual instruments lower? Or the other way around?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

You will be less likely to experience clipping if you keep the individual instrument levels below the horizontal ‘zero’ line in the on-screen fader, and use the master volume when the overall mix is too quiet. If you need a particular instrument to stand out more in the mix, you can always turn other instruments down, and again use the master level to bring the overall volume back up.

Note that you can hold shift while turning the level rotary to simultaneously turn all channels up or down. You could use this to turn everything down, then select the instrument that you want to be louder, and turn just that one channel back up.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of badzgirlz
    badzgirlz
    Participant

Thanks Jeff for replying, i try to figure out what happen, and i even change my headphone with audio technica ATH-M50x, have any requirement spec for headphone?. Temporary can fix this issue, i will report again if find out some problem. Thanks again

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

From the user guide, headphones with impedance between 16Ω and 600Ω are recommended. Audio Technica ATH-M50x have an Impedance of 38 ohms, so you should not have a problem with them.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of bethelsound
    bethelsound
    Participant

Thanks, Jeff. Up to +10db. That makes a lot of sense. I’ve used the shift+knob technique to re-level a lot of onstage mixes, but I’ll be a little more specific about optimum levels for our lead and other musicians.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.