Matrix "pre" routing position, record a BUS (input to mix master)

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Matrix "pre" routing position, record a BUS (input to mix master)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kub kub 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of trickytrev
    trickytrev
    Participant

Hi A&H,
    If we use a GEQ on the FOH PA (using MainLR), and record the MainLR to USB, then that affects the recording.
    Recording from a matrix doesn’t help because the MainLR GEQ affects all the matrices.

Possible workaround (wastes resources):
    – no GEQ or EQ or comp on the MainLR Mix –> record this to USB but make sure MainLR fader is at 0dB.
    – Matrix 1 = FOH (apply FOH GEQ here)
    – Matrix 2 = SUBS
    – Matrix 3 = delay/fill/whatever

Reason:
    I want to have:
    MainLR = FOH (XLR out 11&12)
    Matrix 1 = SUBS (XLR out 10)
    Matrix 2 = Stereo out TRS
    Matrix 3 = Mono fill/delay out (XLR out 9)
    (AUX 1-8 – XLR out 1-8)

Feature Request:
    Solution part 1: “pre” in the matrix send is pre-GEQ (input to Mix Master), rather than pre-fader (that would be ideal, since we don’t sum up all the EQs and comps for the matrix output…)
    Solution part 2: Can we please have the ability to record the MAIN BUS to USB? Currently we can only select a Mix Master OUTPUT…

Cheers,
    Trev

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

What is the difference between Main Bus and mix master?

trickytrev
    Participant

Main bus is the INPUT to MainLR Mix Master….(each aux/grp/main has a mix master)… and the OUTPUTS of the MainLR mix master then go to the output patch and matrices….

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Just leave the geq in mainlr blank and use geq in Matrix, as WE Said before.

trickytrev
    Participant

Yep, Tobi…. That’s what I am doing now… unfortunately it wastes a whole bank of matrices…..(basically the stereo TRS is no longer individually controllable…. \
    (I’m an engineer experienced and capable of programming such devices. I program VHDL, amongst other platforms… such simple things are considered a crime in my world…)

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

You are little over the Line. I am a Software engineer and do completly understand, that Not all systems have all Features. SQ ist a cool Produkt with If course some quirks… Your request is in my opinion Not a quirk. Its a Feature that you dont find anywhere in the Market… Why blame SQ?

trickytrev
    Participant

“over the line” is a brave call…(maybe a little over the line but hey… 🙂 )
    I love the SQ dude, and I blame no one. I support development and progress within the boundaries we have, and SQ is a development thing.
    I’ve been mixing on A&H since the GLD days…amongst Yamaha (with CASCADE 2TR), and digico…etc…

VHDL is NOT software engineering. Far far far from it. It’s pure hardware. I’ve been writing VHDL for FPGA’s for decades!
    Clocks, propagation time across the FPGA, latency is the constraint, and what I am asking for is not begging for much in this realm.

I don’t think this is really a “feature”. Digico have this “feature” but at a different price point – SQ could hammer it home with very little effort…

I’d like to hear A&H’s opinion on this…

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Sorry, my words were a bit harsh. I also know vhdl,but that is No Case Here…

This Forum is called Feature Suggestions… So we should suggest,Not judge.

Best Regards.

Profile photo of Nolan
    Nolan
    Participant

I agree there need to be more pick-off point options, and it would be nice to select those per output, NOT per bus or matrix. As another example, this would allow you to send a program feed to the broadcast or foyer but have it delayed to the video feed WITHOUT wasting an extra matrix to add the delay.

Profile photo of kub
    kub
    Participant

Hi Trev,

as much as you might be experienced, you are using it wrong.
    your LR Main Bus should go to the matrices, one for recording, the other to the Main PA or wherever you want it. You’ll use the GEQ where you need it. That’s what matrices are for. If you got to few, you’ll need a separate systemcontroller and/or a different desk.
    you are welcome, good luck.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Kub – while I understand and tend to default to your workflow, it doesn’t mean it is appropriate in every situation. There isn’t a “right” or “wrong” way of routing audio through these systems. There are a number of different solutions, each with their positives and negatives.

It also isn’t wrong for the OP to want more flexible pick points and/or record points. There are many times when I feel limited by the “pick points” offered on A&H products.

trickytrev
    Participant

Hey kub,
    I indeed use the desk “the right way” (MainLR is not going to the PA – only matrices / or aux are). – but I just wanted to have this compact desk better utilised. Yeah I know that “it’s not the right way”, but an additional pick-point (as Brian mentioned) when we only have 3 matrices was my idea of working around separate gear or a different desk…so we can use the SQ to its fullest potential because there are not enough matrices for the hardware outputs.

cheers! Trev.

Profile photo of kub
    kub
    Participant

quote: “If we use a GEQ on the FOH PA (using MainLR), and record the MainLR to USB, then that affects the recording.
    Recording from a matrix doesn’t help because the MainLR GEQ affects all the matrices.”
    that doesn’t sound like like you are feeding the PA with a matrix in this case.

well, it boils down to the “you get what you pay for thing”.
    the real solution is a system with more matrices. the GEQ on the mainbus is not a wasted resource, it’s there to adjust the tonal balance of the whole bus if needed, as is the geq on the mains-matrix to adjust the pa.
    you can certainly wish for variable “pickpoints”, but a wish for more matrices, as stated very often around here, is the proper solution to your problem of one geq affecting different outputs the bus gets sent to.
    in the end, another additional (pre-geq) “pickpoint” would be just another bus. as is a matrix.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.