Make pan knob a balance control on ST channels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Make pan knob a balance control on ST channels

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Currently, the pan on stereo channels is not very useful.

It should be a width control over the balance of the stereo image. On the LED display, there should be two dots represent how the left and right are placed. When centered, it should sum it to mono. In this way, when we encounter some signals that just have the left channel, we can narrow it down to mono quickly.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Isn’t it exactly working this way?

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

No, if you pan to the left on a stereo channel now, you have nothing on the right.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think Hawk is talking about the ST1/2 coming in over dSnake.
    I do know if you use both TRS inputs you can not manually make ST inputs a mono signal within the desk
    You need to either use just the left/mono TRS put on the desk, OR if using the AR2404 manually Y split the inputs there.
    There is another Original post earlier about this and all of the options.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I think what’s being asked for here is a pan/antipan control, much like how linked mono channels currently work.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes sure maybe?
    Hawk dose not actually say where the signal is coming from?
    Looking back at Hawkes history he had an AB168 issue where he talked about exchanging to get an AR2412 to get more channels from his QU16.
    Maybe he suddenly found “hey I can easily get into the Stereo channels on an AR2412” and then found they are dedicated stereo channels?

Just assumptions, however I feel his wanting to “anti-pan” Stereo channels
    Hold on, you cant pan a stereo channel?
    If you link channels you can deselect the pan control and then get say centre and left or centre right by panning one or the other in linked channel mode.

Of course the ST 1/2 do not have a linked tab within their processing screen.
    Maybe that could be a good request?

pan/antipan control

I have never heard that saying. I like it!

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

@dhak, no matter it’s local or dSnake, the ST channels have the same panning method. And yes it will also help the case where you want to use ST as mono via AR2412.

@mervaka, yes!

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, makes sense for ST inputs. Had linked channels in mind…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.