Make LR Mix Select flash when using sends on faders

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Make LR Mix Select flash when using sends on faders

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AdamC AdamC 3 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pete Alcock
    Pete Alcock
    Participant

I’m new to the SQ having taken delivery a week ago, although I have used SQ6 previously at local venues. I can’t be the only person that has adjusted, what I thought was the main mix, only to realise that I was changing (i.e completely messing up) a monitor or FX mix!

I wondered how the console could warn the user that they’re using Sends-on-Faders, and I think either of these could work:

1. Whenever a mix other than LR is selected, the LR Mix button could flash, maybe not even blue.
    2. Alternatively, the scribble strips could invert (go light-on-dark).

Either of these would instantly alert that SOF is active. What d’ya think?

Cheers,

Pete Alcock.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

To be honest, there are already indicators for send on faders, if you ignore them you will ignore the others as well.

If you are on sends on faders, the corresponding mix button will be lit.
    And the master fader mix button indicator is off.
    It changes to red if you assigned the listen level to it.

Profile photo of Pete Alcock
    Pete Alcock
    Participant

Hi Steffen, I take your point, but the FX mix buttons for example, light up blue which is very easily missed. I don’t think it’s a case of ignoring them, more a fact of not noticing them.

To illustrate the point, try settling a soft key to be global tap tempo. The thing stands out like a beacon – there’s no way you’ll not notice that! (So much so that I had to remove that function from the soft key as it was annoying). That’s the level of prominence I was in a S.O.F. light.

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

I think everyone has been in this awkward situation at some point.
    So I can well understand and support the desire for an option of a better indicaton for SOF.
    Alternatively, I could imagine the following too:
    We would have an option to enable all mix buttons to have the same behavior as the talkback button (Momentary + Latch).
    In this case would pressing and holding of a mix button activate SOF only temporarily for corrections to the chosen mix.
    After releasing the button you are automatically back in the main mix.
    Alternatively, you can also as until now permanently select a mix by short pressing the mix button.

Profile photo of Alec
    Alec
    Participant

I’m all for the most “rude” indicators that SoF is on, and don’t believe that the Bus LED is enough. Mixing Station can be configured so that all faders flash in inverted colour when SoF is active – that’s how I like it – not pretty, but dead clear what’s going on.

SQ using flashing LED strips would be a pretty good way to achieve this.

Profile photo of Chris Irwin
    Chris Irwin
    Participant

I completely agree that there needs to be a much more obvious “in-your-face” indication that sends on fader is active. I would prefer flashing LED’s on all channel strips, but at minimum keep the current selection flashing. I oversee a lot of volunteers and student workers who are just learning mixing/consoles/etc and I get a huge volume of calls related to this very issue. Seriously, at least half the time I get a call it is “the fader isn’t working… I turn it up but don’t hear anything…” – I believe I have asked for this in a previous post a year or so ago, but came back to the forums one more time to vent my frustration and hope that this makes it into a firmware update soon!

Seriously… Coming from Yamaha world (all channel select keys light up), to Soundcraft (all fader lightstrips change colors), to Digico (all channel screens change color and name)… I’m sure there are more examples out there – but it seems like A&H completely missed the ball on this simple but important piece of communication to the engineer.

Profile photo of sndanddmx
    sndanddmx
    Participant

Yes!
    I think at the very least, the selected mix LED should blink (unless LR is selected).

Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

Please don’t wish “the very least”!
    In my opinion that wouldn’t be enough.
    During a show, so much is flashing and moving and you’re focused on the center.
    A light flashing on the right would definitely not be noticeable enough.

It is certainly difficult to find the right balance, because in addition to the dosage of effects and monitors,
    there are also cases where you have to work normally on a mix level, so that a “storm of flashes” would be very disruptive.
    An example of this would be a separate mix for a stream in addition to the sound system.

I have the idea, that the red-framed header on the screen flashes inverted – and perhaps the pink-framed one too (see picture).
    That would be in the field of vision and relatively noticeable, but wouldn’t bother so much.

Alternatively, you would yet have to be able to switch to a “most rude” variant for jobs like open air in the sunshine. ))

And despite all this: I would love the variable talkback button functionality (see my post #114339 above).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of LICO49
    LICO49
    Participant

les boutons des mix n’ont qu’une petite led, donc impossible de faire clignoter l’ensemble du bouton. Il y aurait peut être possibilité de revoir la fonction de la bande led de L’éclairage (revoir la programmation interne) et avoir la possibilité de mettre une couleur quand nous sommes sur LR et une autre quand nous sommes sur le mix (au choix de l’utiliseur dans les paramètres : Activité ou pas cette fonction, puis si activité, choisir une couleur pour LR et une couleur pour MIX).

Profile photo of Ahren
    Ahren
    Participant

I would love this feature since I have to focus on switching to different channels and layers a lot plus navigate a lot on screen having a flashing light on what mix is selected would help tremendously. please add this as a standard please.

Profile photo of AdamC
    AdamC
    Participant

Yes, I agree 100%.
    More indication of sends on faders would be a big help, via either or both of the ways OP listed.
    Or perhaps an overall change to the color of the scribble strips in sends on faders mode.
    Ideally options for this could be chosen in the setup screen to match a user’s preferences.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.