Allen & Heath Zed 1000 Powered Mixer problem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Allen & Heath Zed 1000 Powered Mixer problem

This topic contains 32 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob Rob 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andrewallen90
    andrewallen90
    Participant

Hi i’m having problems need help with my Allen Heath zed 1000 . So i got two powered speakers QSC 12.2 and i run from the main out xlr to the speakers and i hear cracks distortion. Is this the correct way to hook up to this particular model mixer? please need help

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You are running the XLR out, you are good on the mixer end, but you also need to set the K12.2’s to receive LINE LEVEL signals rather than MIC LEVEL.

andrewallen90
    Participant

Its set to line level of course but is still doing like that and some people said that dont run from a powered mixer to a powered speaker so the conection im using the main mix out xlr i dont know
    If that is good or bad for the powered speakers if its maybe sends high signal into the speakers make them blow the amps out

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the powered outputs are the SpeakOn outs

andrewallen90
    Participant

i think you’re wrong SteffenR the speakon outs are for the passive speaker. That’s why i used the main out xlr for active speaker

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@andrewallen90

the manual shows where to connect your main speakers
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP9323_1-ZED_Power_UG_A5.pdf
    and it looks like it should be from the two back connectors on p31 32

but later the manual says powered speaker outs are from speakon NL4 connectors which look like the ones on the back
    in any case it does seem to be the two xlrs you noted in your diagram for self powered or external amped speakers

I read this as being bad writing and powered outs means the amp in the z1000 outs for passive speakers not a line level to go to powered speakers

sounds like a defect in the unit unless you are running the signal too hot for them to handle

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just to confirm that in the set up menu on the QSC speakers you set it to line level, using input #1 set to 0db.

The XLR outs on the mixer are the correct outs to use, I assume one XLR out is going to one speaker and the other to the second speaker. If that’s the case do not jumper
    the speakers together.

If you plug headphones into the mixer headphone jack what does that sound like using the same source material that you hear distorting in the speakers?

Are you using balanced wired XLR cables with XLR connectors on each end directly connected to the mixer and the speaker with nothing else in between the mixer and speakers?

andrewallen90
    Participant

I use the mogami Gold studio xlr but also when i connect to the Right mainout from the mixer to the right speaker its very low volume so i have no idea if in the mixer mainout conector went bad is like playing with my mind now.

andrewallen90
    Participant

To make it fully clear Mike C i come from the main mix out of the mixer left goes to left speaker and right goes to right speaker . Xlr cable mogami brand new ones and very costly

volounteer
    Participant

@andrewallen90

so which is it

the OP said it was << … cracks distortion >> indicating too much signal or else hardware glitch
    now you are saying the signal is << very low volume >>

HOW DID YOU SET THE SPEAKER OPTIONS? EG like the control screen shows:
    1- Displays menus and settings
    3- Rotate to select a sub-menu or to adjust a value – WHAT VALUES
    4- Push to load a value for adjustment or to confirm – DID YOU?
    6- Indicates that A IN is set to microphone level sensitivity – SHOULD NOT USE
    7- Indicates that B IN is set to high impedance (Hi-Z or LINE) sensitivity – SHOULD BE LINE
    8- Adjusts the GAIN (sensitivity) of the associated input – DID YOU SET THE GAIN CORRECTLY?
    10- For connection of line or microphone level sources – DID YOU USE THE RIGHT INPUT ?

13- Parallel (Thru) Connection for B IN

14- Line Level, Mixed Output including blend of all three inputs

15- Power Switch

16- AC Power Inlet (locking)

17- 2000 Watt Class D Amplifier Module

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

– Do you hear the cracking in both speakers?
    – You said the right speaker was low in volume, is the left speaker
    working OK?
    – Do the L & R meters on the mixer show the same levels?
    – What do headphones plugged into the mixer sound like.
    – If the right is low and the left speaker is OK at the mixer swap
    the cables plugged into the mixer, plug left into right, right into left.
    – Now after doing that if the right speaker is still low the problem is with in
    the speaker, most likely in the setup.
    – If after doing the cable swap the left speaker is now low in volume that points
    to the mixer having an issue.
    – Just for the sake of it swap the cables one with the other just to rule out any issues with those, yes I know they are expensive, but trying to check everything here.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

i think you’re wrong SteffenR the speakon outs are for the passive speaker. That’s why i used the main out xlr for active speaker

He is correct, passive speakers (no built in amps) require the power amp (powered)outputs on the speakon jacks.

Your speakers connect to the XLR line level outputs as you are doing.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

@SteffenR was right with his factoid, but wrong wrt the question in the OP.

@andrewallen90 has self amplified speakers and needs the output he showed.

The problem looks like a defective z1000 or else his QSC settings are wrong.
    Not clear what his real problem is as his two messages contradict each other wrt what he observes.

SteffenR
    Participant

think you’re wrong SteffenR the speakon outs are for the passive speaker. That’s why i used the main out xlr for active speaker

sorry… one question… are you the native english speaking person?
    the outputs are powered… the device is a powered mixer.. the sockets labelled SpeakOn are still powered outputs
    and these are the outputs to connect to passive speakers

that was all what I was pointing out

SteffenR
    Participant

To make it fully clear Mike C i come from the main mix out of the mixer left goes to left speaker and right goes to right speaker . Xlr cable mogami brand new ones and very costly

we understood this from the beginning
    maybe you need some local help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.