Is there anyway to make mixes 5-10 mono?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is there anyway to make mixes 5-10 mono?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DoctorG DoctorG 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Guyesquire
    Guyesquire
    Participant

I just got the mixer and so far love it. What I’m trying to figure out with the 1.8 firmware upgrade is there anyway to make the stereo mixes mono?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Yes. Just use one side.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

you beat me to it George!

There is NO provision for mono-ing stereo outputs.
    Do NOT join output signals together with out knowing what you are doing..

Profile photo of Guyesquire
    Guyesquire
    Participant

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear, I meant so I can get 10 monitor mixes?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I’ll just point here: 10 mono outs mix
    Or short: No. At least not with V1.8
    Workaround could be to just use panning.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You can on a 24 or 32 urging groups.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

For this application, I think you can get by with a simple XLR Y connector to combine two channels of a stereo mix into one. An example is the Hosa YXF-119 Y Cable, XLR3M to Dual XLR3F for about $8.

I know there are purists out there who cringe when such a suggestion is made. To be suitable for all possible situations, a combiner/splitter should have some type of isolation. For passive devices, resistors or transformers are used to achieve this isolation. Most of these devices are designed for use with mic-level signals. If you use a transformer like this with a line-level signal (such as a Mix output) you may saturate the transformer.

I have attached a diagram of a resistor-based device. This particular one was designed for A Shure microphone with 470-ohm impedance. The QU Mix outs are rated at 75 ohms. You should use 75-ohm precision resistors for best results, but I’d guess that you could get by with standard 100-ohm resistors for what you want to do. This, of course assumes that you know how to do this sort of thing.

If you don’t, then just search the web for line-level balanced (XLR) combiner. The Rolls MS20C sell for $44. Others are Whirlwind-IMCOML ($100-$137), Galaxy ($30), Audio Technica AT8681 ($53-$77). If you prefer a professional active device, they are out there for $600. You may as well buy a small two-input mixer!

Just use the Y connector – it should work fine. But wait for the naysayers to respond…..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

10 mono sends

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Why bother with a Y, just use one side (assuming of course that you don’t have too many stereo inputs 😉

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Yes, the “rub” comes in when you use the stereo inputs. Most of us, I suspect, run our consoles in mono, with all the inputs panned to center, (for recording, it may be desirable to run in stereo). For a stereo device, you could put the two inputs into two mono channels. If you need both stereo inputs, that takes four input channels. The problem comes in with ST3 – I don’t think there is a way to send it to two mono channels. If this input is needed, you must use a Y connector to combine the two channels externally into a mono signal then split it into a stereo eighth-inch phone plug.

You would think that A&H would provide some way to convert the stereo channels to mono – perhaps in a future firmware upgrade.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.