Is there a way for the 2 monitor sends that are stereo to be made into mono?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is there a way for the 2 monitor sends that are stereo to be made into mono?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of webe123 webe123 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of webe123
    webe123
    Participant

OK this is the deal….my church has a QU 32 mixer. All of our monitor sends are being taken up. We are trying to free up a couple so that I can have two for my guitar mix for headphones….because before I was just using a regular monitor that had other instruments and voices in it (a little hotspot monitor to hear the band) …BUT….I monitored my guitar sound with a separate powered speaker that I ran a axe fx 2 (Guitar amp simulator) through.

Recently, we had a guy come to our church and do a musician clinic with a laptop and he used Ableton live suite 11 with our band…our band had never used Ableton….nor were they used to having to play with a click track used in the songs….but after a couple of days they got the playing to the click track down because most of our band had headphones (Bass, Drummer and Keyboards) but I was still set up for live playing guitar with a moinitor. So come Sunday I was simply not able to do the songs with our band because trying to hear the “click” track through a regular moinitor WITHOUT HEADPHONES…was IMPOSSIBLE! I had to just stay off guitar that day because I kept getting off with the track in practice and I did not want to risk it with service going on!

Now our church has bought a copy of Ableton live suite 11 and I want to set my guitar up so that I can have a small mixer beside me and have two channels sent to it…one from Ableton and one from my guitar to run headphones into. This way I can control the volume of the Ableton tracks and the guitar sounds myself…instead of having to depend on a sound guy to it as some of our sound people are inexperienced in that.

BUT…in order to do that my pastor….who has been doing sound for years, informs me that he would need to “free up” some a couple of channels in our monitors to do that. He mentioned that he had a couple of monitor sends that were stereo and if he could make them mono he could have 4 instead of two sends. This would give me the two I need. But he is unsure on if it is even possible to make those two mono…or if there is another way to add my two channels I need to the board.

So I come to this community to see if there may be a way to do this? I am basically trying to free up a couple of channels so that I can put my guitar through headphones and have control over the volume of the ableton tracks and the guitar volume through my headphones. Anyone got any ideas? If there is another way to add more channels through a external way…please mention that also. Anything you can suggest at this point would help.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Maybe I’m not understanding this properly but if you send your guitar to one of the stereo mixes panned hard right and whatever else you’d like to that same mix but panned hard left you’d have all you asked for it seems ?

Giga

Profile photo of webe123
    webe123
    Participant

I will ask my pastor to do that. Maybe that will give us what we need thanks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There is no way to truly split the stereo mixes into two mono mixers.

The hard left and right panning of the mix sends would work, channels needed to
    sent to both sides of the mix would be in panned center, cumbersome but it would be
    a kind of work around.

That said…….are you using any of the audio sub groups on the mixer?
    The QU32 has four stereo audio subgroups, those sub groups can be switched
    to operate as additional stereo monitor/aux mixes.
    You can switch them per group, so you could say use two of them as audio subgroups
    and the other two as additional monitor mixes.

Profile photo of webe123
    webe123
    Participant

I think my pastor said all of our subgroups were being used. But if the hard left/right trick works…that would be OK also.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.