Is S-Link a Network Protocol?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Is S-Link a Network Protocol?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of htevents htevents 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tourtelot
    tourtelot
    Participant

Quick question. Is S-Link a network protocol? Can it be routed through an ethernet switch?

My thoughts are in my quest to being able to use Prime components in a DX32 within my Dante network. I now understand that if I run the DX32 down Cat cable via the S-Link socket in my SQ6, I will be able to move those I/O around in and out of my Dante network. But I would really like to avoid running two Cat cables between the control room and the stage and was wondering if I could use one cable and two VLANs in my switches; one for Dante and one for S-Link.

My guess is that this will not work but I’d like some confirmation either yea or nay for someone in the know. If not, I think that A&H is still missing the boat by not having a Dante enabled enclosure for the Prime components. Folks (like me) who run a high quality recording network on Dante would be interested in having the Prime modules available, for sure.

D.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

No, IT cant.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

tourtelot
    Participant

Thanks. Oh well.

D.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Just to note, your Prime I/O will be available via Dante if you have a Dante card installed on the console the Prime I/O is connected to. So while you will need a dedicated cable to connect the DX32 box to your console, you can still access the DX32 I/O via the Dante card as long as your route the I/O through the Dante card within the console’s routing pages.

The only difference that a DT32 box would offer over the DX32 is the flexibility to access the DT32 I/O over Dante without having to power on the console. That is a pretty minor thing IMHO, so I can understand why A&H isn’t rushing out to produce a bunch of new DT variations of their existing DX/GX boxes.

tourtelot
    Participant

The problem for me is that I have other devices on stage that need to be connected to the Dante network. I would need to run two Cat cables to the stage instead of the one that I now run if I needed a Cat cable for an S-Link enclosure.

D.

Profile photo of Rob T
    Rob T
    Participant
    tourtelot
    Participant

Thanks Rob. That’s very interesting, an A&H protocol that is network based. My problem is, of course, that I only have one card slot on my SQ6 and it is populated with a Dante card.

The solution would be a Dante enclosure for the Prime modules but I don’t see that happening soon, if ever. Must be no market value in such a device for A&H.

D.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Not sure if it could work, but a managed switch in each end with 2 VLans, one for Dante and one for the DX

Then console and DX32 on that VLan, and a trunk running between FoH and stage.

Being mid musical right now, and that I only have an AR2412 available with the SQ right now, I have no time to test it myself though.

Perhaps Keith can elaborate if that could be possible.

tourtelot
    Participant

Would the DX box work through the network port on the mixer? If so, that might work. I am told that it wouldn’t work over the S-Link port but I have no way to test that.

I use VLANs on my managed switches already, so adding another VLAN would be simple.

D.

Profile photo of htevents
    htevents
    Participant

Well, S-Link on itself is not a network protocol. S-Link is a system that can decode the different protocols the A&H stage boxes use, like dSnake and GigaAce. Both are in some way network protocols, so technically it is possible to run the stagebox AND “normal” network over a single Cat cable forum the stage to the console at FOH using VLAN’s. However, it can be tricky and may not be (very) reliable.

I was also considering having a stagebox and Dante + ArtNet + Control over a single Cat cable for an AR2412 + SQ5 setup. Here is the link to that topic, mayb e it can be helpful for you: Single cable setup AR2412 + SQ5

Hope this helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.