Is QU-32 I/O configuration saved per scene?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Is QU-32 I/O configuration saved per scene?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LesWilson
    LesWilson
    Participant

Replacing 20 year old GL2800 with QU-32 & AR2412 is back in the budget. Woot! Trying to make it work for our 52 channel venue.

We have 40 channels coming from our stage via a copper snake and 16 wireless in FOH. S the QU-32 and AR2412 would be co-located in control room. We have different users of the venue and I was hoping to wire the 52 physical inputs to the QU-32 and AR2412 combined 52 physical inputs and then use SCENES for each user to configure which 32 inputs they are using. That is, each user would have their own Scene ergo their own I/O configuration.

But this statement in the QU-32 manual has me scratching my head and I cannot find tutorials or article to explain it:
    “Remote Inputs – dSNAKE inputs are mapped one-to- one to the Qu input channels. They are not patchable.”

Does this mean that AR2412 inputs are hard-coded to QU-32 inputs 1-24? Is there a way to do what I need to do with the QU-32? TIA

Profile photo of 2PhatCC
    2PhatCC
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe the QU-32 is expandable. I believe the dSnake option is only to allow you to plug your stuff in at an alternate location. So one to one is probably accurate.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The inputs are not able to patch to other than associated channels.
    In every channel, you can choose the source the signal is coming from. The possible sources are Local/dSnake/USB.
    But the dSnake 1 is going to channel 1 only, dSnake 2 is always going to channel 2 and so on.

The source is stored in scenes.

I recommend you check the SQ 6. The price tag should be not that much over the QU32.
    48 mixing channels on 24 faders and free patching. It can handle 64 inputs on the SLink.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@leswilson

Looks like this is something that must have been missed when updating the manual!

Originally it was the case that remote/dSnake inputs were only able to be patched one-to-one, but when we released the Qu-Pac and later the Qu-SB, which both have Qu-32 cores – we added the ability to patch remote sockets to any channel.
    This is done in the ‘Setup > I/O Patch > dSNAKE In’ screen.

It’s still true that the maximum number of channels is fixed by the amount of processing in the mixer, rather than the number of sockets you connect.
    Also that each input channel can still be sourced from either Local, dSnake or USB input sockets.
    It’s just that you can assign each of the dSnake sockets to any of the dSnake sources of the channels. (Sounds more confusing than it is when you actually do it!).

Hope this helps!
    Keith.

Profile photo of LesWilson
    LesWilson
    Participant

@SteffenR, you had me pricing an SQ 6 and finding a sword to fall on. Thanks @KeithjA&H That is good news and does the trick I think.

One followup question though, is the Setup>I/O Patch saved in scenes or is it global?

TIA
    Les

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I wasn’t aware that the newer firmwares differ in patching possibilities.
    Checked my Qu16 and yes it’s possible to patch dSnake sockets.

The patch is stored in scenes, but I’m not sure if the dSnake setup is part of the scenes as well…

I will check that later.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The D snake set up/patch is stored in a scene.

Profile photo of jsiebring
    jsiebring
    Participant

I was about to ask the same question for the QU-16. Our venue typically would use max 12 channels from the stage (snake) and 4 physical on the desk (wireless mics for speech), but in a pinch, it would be really nice if we could swap the last 4 from snake and back with scenes. Can you, next to the input, modify all routing using scenes, or only the input?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I was about to ask the same question for the QU-16. Our venue typically would use max 12 channels from the stage (snake) and 4 physical on the desk (wireless mics for speech), but in a pinch, it would be really nice if we could swap the last 4 from snake and back with scenes. Can you, next to the input, modify all routing using scenes, or only the input?

Yes you can.

I’m assuming the 12 channels from the stage or on a digital stage box like an AB168 ect. and not on an analog copper snake.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.