Internal wifi improvements? (Cq18t)

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Internal wifi improvements? (Cq18t)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeradachs Jeradachs 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vsthem
    vsthem
    Participant

I setup informal concerts for a travel club, and I often have to setup as quickly as possible, and as cleanly as I can. I was hoping that the internal wifi would be good enough, knowing that everything is controllable on the console itself should something go wrong.

I setup concerts in about 12 locations in ten days, some indoors in high traffic areas, some outdoors in remote areas, with about 80 guests in attendance each time. The wifi cut out constantly in every location beyond 10ft or so.

A friend told me that the qsc touchmix had a similar problem, but that after a firmware update, the internal wifi worked much, much better.

Any chance that we’ll see improvements to built in wifi? Or is there anything I can do to improve it?

The mixer otherwise worked very well, sounded great, and was reliable throughout the trip. Thanks for building a great and extremely compact device

Profile photo of Jeradachs
    Jeradachs
    Participant

I am looking for the CQ20B.
    10ft is about 3m.

Sorry A&H this is a nogo, if correct.
    There is also a Video online showing this problem?

I would need at least 15 to 20 m.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I don’t know why anyone would trust the built in Wi-fi in a mission critical situation. The system uses a single small antenna that is attached to a big metal box that is usually placed where it makes the most sense for the audio connections, not Wi-Fi coverage. I mean what could go wrong!?

Buy a decent but inexpensive Wi-Fi router (something from gl.inet for example) and be done with it. Place the Wi-Fi router where it makes the most sense for Wi-Fi coverage. Place the CQ console where it makes the most sense for routing all the audio connections.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Hey brian

Why should I pay for a built in solution that does not work? Did a&h really design the unit to have a wifi range of 3m?

The main quality of the CQs is fat and easy installation. An external router means 2 more cabels, additional gear with backup, possible trouble.

So please A&H explain abputzt the problems you seem to have with the Wifi.

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

My Cq18t WiFi is great – back of the room control with no problems at all!?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Yes to Brian’s post.

That said it does take a little set up to optimize WIFI, try only the 5g connection, as mentioned get the antenna up high and not buried in a rack.

I don’t have a CQ system but that is what I do with my external routers for my QU’s.
    Also I have a WIFI channel scan APP that gives me an idea of what is in use in the area
    I’m working in and will set my router accordingly, actually I carry four routers with me
    that are set to different 5g channels so most of the time I just pick the needed router.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Ok, so you also expect the built in Wifi not to be reliable?
    Olaf

robbocurry
    Participant

This isn’t Behringer, it works great for me as expected.
    Whether or not it has the performance of a separate router in a prime position is another question. There is an Ethernet port to use for an external router if you’re not getting what you need.
    As I said, after multiple gigs I’ve had no problems with drop off or range with my CQ18T.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

Performed a few gigs now with my CQ-20B and I have found the built in wifi to be very reliable. And I have the CQ setup right next to the drum kit on stage and not positioned up high above heads. Setup to use the 5g spectrum.

When I use my QUSB on hire jobs I use an Apple Airport Express router that I position on the top of one of my column array speakers. Way above peoples heads and give good line of sight no matter where you are in the room.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Hey guys

Love to hear from real users!

My decision for the CQ20B grows strongly.

Olaf

robbocurry
    Participant

@vsthem
    You must have a faulty unit, a faulty tablet or incorrect settings!
    I have yet to experience any problems in busy venues with ranges often over 20m.

My QU rig with Apple Airport used to drop out frequently until:
    I set it up with manual IP
    Switched off “auto join” to every stored but unused network.
    Disabled the “new network “ request tab on my iPad.
    Hope you get sorted!!

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The CQ’s WiFi is far better than many older routers and access points, and definitely much better than the built-in WiFi on competing units. I’ve had no issues so far with the onboard WiFi, and even when I’m in my shop which has 3 other commercial grade APs of mine in-use, as well as many others from neighboring devices. I can still easily go 50′ to 60′ away and in a crowded area with many obstructions in the way (no line of site), and still have a good connection to the CQ. Out in the field it is even better.

Even the Bluetooth on the CQ seems to get better range than many other devices I’ve worked with. 🙂

I have the CQ-20B and CQ-16T and both have exceptionally good onboard WiFi.

Jeradachs
    Participant

Hey Scott since I own the 20B now I agree. Wifi works well.
    Olaf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.