Input Level in Ableton Live

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Input Level in Ableton Live

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DavidCo DavidCo 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

We have the QU32 connected to the mac and we have a single microphone on someone speaking at an event. That person’s vocal levels are fine in the house, and everything seems just right regarding the live signal.

Where we’re confused right now is why the input level ( which is set to unity gain ) in Ableton Live on the corresponding input track is so low in volume.

Since we’re connected to the QU32, the input volume controls in Audio/Midi Setup or Audio Preferences aren’t available (since we control them with the QU32.)

Is there a way to increase the signal before it gets to the iMac without affecting the signal being sent to the DSP (house speakers).

Or, are we potentially doing something wrong regarding how we’re recording?

Is this a pre/post fader level scenario whereby we could route the signal straight to the iMac and thus Ableton Live before it even leaves the channel strip to the DSP?

Profile photo of jakethepeg
    jakethepeg
    Participant

Hello Jon,

I’m unsure of your experience level but I trust this helps..

There are two ways to change the volume into Ableton live – 1) the channels input gain (see page 29 in manual) and 2) the channels direct out volume (top of page 38 in manual).

Manual

Changing the direct out volume will not affect volume of your speaker in the house.
    Changing the channel gain will affect the volume in the house (however you can then reduce this volume in the house by lowering the channels fader).

To fully understand this, you’ll need to research the gain stages in the mixer – I can explain if you need.

Cheers,
    Jake

jakethepeg
    Participant

Here’s a rough picture showing the different points at which ‘volume’ can be adjusted.

jakethepeg
    Participant

Pic attached

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of arretx
    arretx
    Participant

Aha…so, is this what we’re talking about?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jakethepeg
    Participant

I believe that will achieve what you want (higher level in recording).

You’ll also want to:
    1) set the channel source (shown in the screen you have attached. Choosing post-preamp will give you audio as it was picked up by the mic; any of the other options will record an edited signal)
    2) make sure the USB Audio Source is set to direct outs (page 52 in manual)

As always, make sure you test this to ensure it achieves what you want.

Cheers, Jake.

Profile photo of mixsit
    mixsit
    Participant

I’m curious (doubtful) about this though.
    Once it’s a digital stream isn’t 0dBFS the same in all uses?
    Thanks

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

0dB on the meters is -18dBFS. This is the same across all our digital mixers.

DC

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.