How do I route usb drive wav file out through main L/R speakers?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions How do I route usb drive wav file out through main L/R speakers?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hawaiian Drummer Hawaiian Drummer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hawaiian Drummer
    Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha, I had purchased and set up a new QU-24 from Allen and Heath for our church to use in house and online streaming services and everything works perfectly. But after 6 years of use I still can not get Wav file on thumb drive to be heard through the main speakers. (I stopped trying but this year some of our musicians want pre lude or post lude music played from recorded wav files.) I format the thumb drive on the QU and then convert mp3 audio file to Wav file 48Khz/24 bit. I insert the thumb drive and easily find it in play file. I select the wav file and press play and I see the indicators on the QU blinking as the wav file is being played, but no sound is heard through main speakers. I looked at routing but get confused when it comes to how to route USB drive out to main speakers in house.
    “It is important that I don’t do this incorrectly because I do not want to ruin my set up for streaming our (USB b) out to laptop used for streaming our weekly church services.”
    So could someone please describe in easy to understand step by step process for doing this. And I have read most posts here on the subject and used A&H technical help files but I still get confused when I am at the console and have to navigate the QU 24 to do this. Thanks in advance for helping this slow learner. David

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Not sure if you done this yet .Select the ST3 channel above the channel and press the button above the gain knob . Hope that helps.

Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha. Thank you Bear for your quick response. When you say “select ST3 channel above the channel” do you mean when I am in the routing screen select where to send USB out to? As I mentioned I’m a slow learner. thanks again David

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

I apologize it took me a bit to get back to you, but here’s a link to a video I just made this morning hopefully this helps https://youtube.com/shorts/g99CrRSidFQ?si=wdqrX37HP4H8I_bW

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Also you can select ST3 input channel, go to the preamp menu screen, then hit the source select (function button lower left corner of screen) on that screen select Q Drive for ST3.
    That is the same screen that you use when patching stage box inputs to channels.

Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha, Thank you so much Bear and Mike C for your replies. Those are the answers I needed! I will implement those settings this evening when I go to choir practice. Bear my question to you is: will these settings stay permanently if I save the scene with these settings. I usually sit in the choir area and use our Apple I pad under administrator to run the sound board if needed. So will I be able to perform these functions from the I pad or will I have to be at the QU24? Thank you again, I set this system up for our church when I bought it for them many years ago, so now I am apt to forget how to navigate the QU for making changes on some settings.
    And Thanks again Bear for taking the time to video the procedure for me to see. I am a visual learner so you made my day! I hope you are blessed for taking the time to help me! David

Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha, In addition to my thank you post earlier My thinking is: Could I set up a soft key to play/pause ST3 from my I pad to control this as the manual shows? Assuming that the settings you showed me remain in memory of that scene once saved to be there again in the next weeks when this is required again. Thanks again, David

Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha, Bear I wanted you to know that at choir practice last night I did have success in getting the Wav file to play and be heard! Thanks again! But it was not as easy at first. I followed your video and went to layers, ST3 channel, PFL and select and then Pre Amp but when I pressed pre amp still no sound. So then I went to processing screen with layers still selected and adjusted the gain because it was zero. I pressed play and the WAV FILE PLAYED THROUGH MAIN SPEAKERS BUT EXTREME FULL ROCK CONCERT VOLUME!!! So I then used the pre amp knob and turned it counter clockwise 20 to 30 times and volume came lower but still too loud. Then I used ST3 channel Fader to lower volume and it was perfect, YEAH!! I then saved my scene with these settings….
    but when I went back later to home, USB, and pressed play on the wav file it was like before with no sound. So I had to press the Pre amp button again to be able to hear it play. Next I tried to set a soft key for Play/Pause from my I pad but could not get it to allow me to do so. Do you know if I can only set soft keys by doing it on the QU desk? Everyone want to go home so I could not try that yet, My main question now will be: next time I want to play a wav file from a thumb drive will I have to press the pre amp button every time so it will be heard through mains? Thanks again, David

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There is a dedicated QU Drive control you can place in a custom layer, there is one for play and one for record.

In using the source select menu once it is set it will stay selected unless a scene is recalled that changes the source patching.

Hawaiian Drummer
    Participant

Aloha, Mike C and Bear Thanks again for your help. Tonight at choir practice I took time and I was able to use the I-pad QU screen to use SET UP/CONTROL/SOFT KEYS to set a soft key to play/pause and stop ST3 CH for playing WAV files from a thumb drive on the desk and it works perfectly! Now I can control playing recorded music that is needed from the choir loft without having to be where the QU 24 is at behind the pipe organ! David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.