HELP!! Multi-track record power pulled

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting HELP!! Multi-track record power pulled

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dazhu
    Dazhu
    Participant

Hello everyone.

Had the power pulled while the mixer was finalising a multi-track record at a wedding.

I managed to recover the audio files but it’s all jumbled up with intermittent bursts of white noise, followed by silence, followed by fragments of clean audio and repeat (link to one channel via dropbox – https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4iys0ye3xubgbm/FILE003.WAV?dl=0 )

Before you reply, I’ve tried the audacity method of moving the offset to no prevail.

I have sent it off to a company who said they can restore it all (and sent a small sample which sounded perfect) but they want a kidney and my first born for their trouble.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I really would love to learn how to do it myself, or at least know for sure that its way over my head before I take the financial hit or just forget about it.

cheers

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Read throw gh this thread for lotsa info:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,134738.0.html

Profile photo of Dazhu
    Dazhu
    Participant

Thanks Dick Rees,

A lot of info on how to recover, nothing on how to repair, I’ve recovered the files from the HDD but they’re obviously not in the right order for playback.

Can’t seem to find anyone with the same issue.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

HDD was really a HDD no Flash Drive and probably not freshly formatted? How did you recover those files? Some “smart OS Wizard”? Then they’re probably lost, except you find someone to scan that drive for clusters belonging to those audio tracks and combine them correctly. Sort of 1 million parts puzzle without edges and template…
    So, next time you hopefully have a UPS with you (I always have, saved me more than once).

Profile photo of Dazhu
    Dazhu
    Participant

External Seagate HDD, brand new out of box, formatted only for the Qu-16, hasn’t been touched since, and wasn’t used for anything else.

Files recovered using EaseUS data recovery software full version.

Files sent to Aeroquartet who proved it could be restored to normal.

I didn’t send the drive off just the files, so the information is there.

I have a camera mic recording that the bride is happy with, this is more for my own knowledge and I feel that I should make an effort in trying to recover it.

Thank you for the lesson in having a UPS, I will most certainly take that on next time, generally I bring a Zoom H1 as a backup stereo record but in the midst of everything this was missed.

I would prefer not to fill this thread with what I should have done or what I probably did, I’m looking for solutions to my current problem if we could focus on that thanks.

Happy to answer as many questions to help everyone understand the issue like settings etc.

Please if i could get responses to how to go about restoring the data, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I doubt someone could be able to fix the “files” recovered from the drive. If the drive indeed wasn’t touched and freshly formatted, all information should be available there. Its just a matter to collect the correct clusters in proper order to get the files back.
    Not sure why your tool fails to recover the files correctly, normally it should be able to follow the sector chain properly.
    _theoretically_ regular windows repair should fix this as well, but without fixing the WAV headers, of course. If you have bad luck then power loss during finalizing could have trashed some organisation information (FAT) on the disk.

Profile photo of Dazhu
    Dazhu
    Participant

Thank you Andreas,

I’ll try a couple of other recovery programs, including windows repair, and try the audacity approach again to re-create the WAV header and see if that works.

I know the files can be restored as the sample i sent off was restored cleanly, just can’t afford the expense at the moment.

is there a program that can reset the the organisation information?

cheers

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Try windows repair as a very last resort. Saw issues where that one makes things worse.
    That’s one of the benefits of a flash drive. They are small enough to just make a physical copy and operate with that one.

is there a program that can reset the the organisation information?

I doubt it. That information was in RAM of your console during finalization…

Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.